Gang switching single phase circuits

That Man

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Is there a prohibition against disconnecting separate circuits with the same switch?

Can I run three single phase circuit hots through a three pole disconnect? The load break disconnect would be acting as on/off control for some lighting circuits. All three circuits would be protected by individual single pole breakers and have independent neutrals.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes you can use a contactor or a latching relay to control several lighting circuits with a single switch.

Buck Parrish

Is there a prohibition against disconnecting separate circuits with the same switch?

Can I run three single phase circuit hots through a three pole disconnect? The load break disconnect would be acting as on/off control for some lighting circuits. All three circuits would be protected by individual single pole breakers and have independent neutrals.
If you're using a regular blade disconnect. I would think you would also have to use a three pole breaker or be able to lock the breakers to turn them all off at once.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Lighting contactors a made for exactly this application.

Something like:

You wouldn't need a 10 pole handle tie breaker to supply it :) (though there might be tag out requirements to work in the box)

Jonathan

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If you're using a regular blade disconnect. I would think you would also have to use a three pole breaker or be able to lock the breakers to turn them all off at once.
You would not. A disconnect switch is not required to have a disconnect in front of it. It would be good a idea to have signage saying it is fed by multiple sources.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
You would not. A disconnect switch is not required to have a disconnect in front of it. It would be good a idea to have signage saying it is fed by multiple sources.
What if it were a snap switch or even a smaller frame motor switch that fits in a "device box"?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What if it were a snap switch or even a smaller frame motor switch that fits in a "device box"?
A disconnect switch is a function not a specific type of equipment.
Yes, there are manufacturers that sell things under the name of disconnect switch and industry slang points to certain products with certain features,like locking provisions, but there is no special UL listing.

kwired

Electron manager
A disconnect switch is a function not a specific type of equipment.
Yes, there are manufacturers that sell things under the name of disconnect switch and industry slang points to certain products with certain features,like locking provisions, but there is no special UL listing.
I was aware of that.

There is handle tie rules for the supply circuit OCPD when there is one "yoke" which possibly applies to typical "snap switches"?

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was aware of that.

There is handle tie rules for the supply circuit OCPD when there is one "yoke" which possibly applies to typical "snap switches"?
On that note, what exactly is a yoke or mounting strap?

I would have assumed the OPs 3 pole disconnect would have required a 3 breaker handle tie per 210.7

Rob G - Seattle

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yoke or no yoke a MWBC would require a handle tie for the circuits sharing a neutral, could be two or three circuits. It is not required to tie all of the branch circuits breakers connected to the contactor together with a handle tie. A 12 pole contactor with 12 branch circuits would not require the 12 branch circuit breakers to be handle tied. If there are no MWBC's then no handle ties required.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Yoke or no yoke a MWBC would require a handle tie for the circuits sharing a neutral, could be two or three circuits. It is not required to tie all of the branch circuits breakers connected to the contactor together with a handle tie. A 12 pole contactor with 12 branch circuits would not require the 12 branch circuit breakers to be handle tied. If there are no MWBC's then no handle ties required.
Only requirements close to that would be you'd need to lock out all those circuits separately to work on the contactor. They could be temporary lockouts though not needed to be permanent

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Only requirements close to that would be you'd need to lock out all those circuits separately to work on the contactor. They could be temporary lockouts though not needed to be permanent
Yes permanent lockouts for this installation are not a code requirement. It quite possible that the circuits for something like a large 12 pole lighting contactor may come from several different panels.