Garage Door Openers Haz. location

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbright28

Hi all

I have a garage door opener in this maintenance building (existing) that was in a room previously only storage. They are now adding onto this building and changing the room from storage to a paint room.

Where does it say in the Codebook in regards a motor to be rated for operation when coated with paint spray residue? What other requirements shall I note for this door opener? The door opener previously had a receptacle that it plugged into, but with the new classification of the room, the receptacle now has to disapear.

Thanks for the help in advance.

muskiedog

Got to OSHA.gov and look up OSHA 1910.107 Spray finishing using flammable and combustible materials. This will help give you an idea of what is required for a paint spraying operation.

You could also install an explosion proof recepticle in this location. But the drive motor, etc.. will have to meet code for explosion proof equipment if located in an area of flammable product usage.

starbright28

So basically we can still show a receptacle on the plans, but need a note to specify that the receptacle be explosion proof type.

This paint area has a ceiling of 23 feet, with the door opener on the ceiling. Would a disconnect for the garage door opener be required or can we get away with specifying a note in reagards to the receptacle being explosion proof.

Looking for direction.

Seen the OSHA website and printed off the article.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Amanda,
If the area is classified you are going to need a very expensive door opener as it will have to be rated for the area and there would be no need for a recpetacle as the door opener rated for the are would have to be hard wired.
Don

muskiedog

Don is right on that. I was using mixers in this location that was cord connect. All equipment placed or used in this area will require explosion proof equipment and wiring.

muskiedog

Pnuematic Controlled Door

Pnuematic Controlled Door

We used a garage door that was controlled by pnuematics and had a pull cord outside the hazard area for opening and closing. That may be an option you can use on the garage door.

starbright28

to cover our butts we stated in the notes that this is a class 1, division 1 area and that the elctrical contractor had to provide necessary equipment to comply with code for this area. now even though the door was existing - i am not sure how they will handle that. I know the owner has already shot down a generator move and up in generator size because of the $$ factor (but then again it was high).

thanks for all the comments regarding this.

Status
Not open for further replies.