garbage disposal recepticle

Status
Not open for further replies.

user 100

Ok. So, going with the "within 6ft. of the outside edge of sink"?

Knew this was coming:D

It depends in large part of the definition of "within 6ft of outside edge of sink." To me a straight 6 foot line makes zero sense in this case- an appliance plugged in under the sink cannot punch thru the countertop and fall in the sink, but if the cord is long enough it may exit thru the cabinet and be dropped in to the sink.;)

Still, it is not specifically required by the NEC that a disposal be on gfci. AHJ or manufacturer may say otherwise.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
If it's a receptacle below the sink it's supposed to be GFCI protected. You could surface mount a J-box under the sink and hardwire the disposal eliminating the receptacle and not have GFCI protection on it. I don't see anything that says the disposal itself has to be GFCI protected. It's the receptacle that needs the protection because it's within 6' of the edge of the sink and as unlikely as it is someone COULD open the cabinet and plug something into it. Same as a refrigerator receptacle. It has to be GFCI protected if it's within 6' of the sink because if the refrigerator isn't in place someone could use that receptacle.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
Knew this was coming:D

It depends in large part of the definition of "within 6ft of outside edge of sink." To me a straight 6 foot line makes zero sense in this case- an appliance plugged in under the sink cannot punch thru the countertop and fall in the sink, but if the cord is long enough it may exit thru the cabinet and be dropped in to the sink.;)

Still, it is not specifically required by the NEC that a disposal be on gfci. AHJ or manufacturer may say otherwise.

You have a very good point. It shouldn't be a straight line and should state that it has to be GFCI protected "if a 6' cord plugged into the receptacle could reach from the receptacle to the outside edge of the sink". I ran into this yesterday. There's a receptacle behind a refrigerator that's 4 to 5 feet from the sink but there's a short wall that's the depth of the refrigerator that separates it from the countertop and sink so the cord would have to travel 30 plus inches out of the refrigerator space and then back to the sink so a 6' cord would not reach the sink. Anyone know of anything in the code that would have an exception? How about if the kitchen were to have a doorway and the sink was next to it and a receptacle in the adjacent room? Technically that wall receptacle would be within 6' but a cord wouldn't reach from it through the doorway and back to the sink.....?

kwired

Electron manager
That six foot from sink rule is interpreted differently all over the place - best to check with your AHJ on how they interpret it.

Then if it is required - next comes varying interpretation of whether or not a GFCI receptacle under the sink is readily accessible.

I think now that AFCI is required for this recepacle as well you will find many that just prefer to use a dual function GFCI/AFCI circuit breaker as it is not much cost difference anyway.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I just do the dual-purpose breaker now because usually I have the dishwasher plugged in on that circuit as well.

As for the readily accessible GFCI, I have found that the GFCI needs to be within a foot of the cabinet doors. Not sure if that's an actual rule or what an inspector allowed.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
2017 NEC cleans this up some bit. The measurements are not meant to breach the cabinet door...so in the 6' of sinks aspect, it was never intended ( but in fact the consequences of the 2014 NEC) to force a receptacle under the sink to be GFCI protected if literally within 6'. Here is the language in 2017 in terms of how you measure that 6' now: "For the purposes of this section, when determining distance from receptacles the distance shall be measured as the shortest path the cord of an appliance ,
connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, or fixed barrier, or passing through a door, doorway, or window"

Comments based on the 2017 National Electrical Code.

is it require that the garbage disposal receptacle to be a GFCI . if so is it in the code ??

No. have installed 2 of them on 2 separate jobs in the last year. These were in a kitchen in an office/warehouse building. 2 separate inspectors and I asked them both. Under the sink receptacle is not a wet location....Don't think residential would be any different

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
is it require that the garbage disposal receptacle to be a GFCI . if so is it in the code ??

You are not required to use a gfci receptacle but under the 2014 the dishwasher must be on a gfci-- it can be a gfci breaker.

210.8(D) Kitchen Dishwasher Branch Circuit. GFCI protection
shall be provided for outlets that supply dishwashers
installed in dwelling unit locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.