Garbage disposal switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike hunton

I am inquiring about the NEC 'code' concerning the installation of a switch to turn on a garbage disposal.
In particular, I need to know what the requirements are concerning the distance from the switch to the disposal.
Also, is it acceptable to install a GFI outlet (controlled by the switch) under the sink to permit easy removal of the disposal?
This will be installed in the "break" area of a small manufacturing business and OSHA compliance is a concern.
Thank You, Mike Hunton

earlydean

Re: Garbage disposal switch question

Mike,
I am not aware of any NEC requirement concerning clearances between garbage disposals and their switches. OSHA is another matter I know little about. Outlets may be installed under a sink for the purpose of readily replacement of the disposal. 422.16(B)(1) GFCI protection is not necessarily required. 210.8(A)(6)
Normally, the location of the switch is just to either side of the sink above the counter top.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Mike there is as far as I know no specific distance from a disposal that the switch has to be within.....Unless the disposal is hard wired then the switch is the disconnect means(if so then a breaker lock is required,and it the switch must be of the indicating type)

big john

Originally posted by a.wayne3@verizon.net:
Unless the disposal is hard wired then the switch is the disconnect means(if so then a breaker lock is required,and it the switch must be of the indicating type.)
Everything about that statement confused me. What defines the means of disconnect? That is, if it has a breaker, wouldn't that be the primary disconnect?
If the breaker isn't the primary disconnect, what function does the breaker lock serve?
Also, are those OSHA regs. you're quoting?

Thanks.
-John

If the disposal is not hardwired, then the cord&plug would be the disconnect means.

If it were hardwired, then the first means of disconnect would be the switch. I find nothing in the NEC requiring a breaker lock.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.