Gas and Electric Separation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gas and Electric Separation

Sorry Ryan.....I've had a question posed to me about separation between a gas line and electric line in the same trench.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I have seen drawings, issued by electric utility companies, showing a minimum separation between their lines and any fluid system piping. It's not an NEC requirement, but there may be rules enforced by the local utilities.

Thanks to all. I have heard anywhere from 12" to 18", but couldn't find it anywhere in the NEC. I don't have a copy of the NESC, but will try to track one down.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by arkiesparky: I don't have a copy of the NESC, but will try to track one down.
You might try the local library. Give them a call and ask for the Reference Desk.

rcwilson

NESC 2001 Rule 354 says "Radial separation of supply and communications cables or conductors from steam lines, gas, and other fuel lines shall be not less than 300 mm (12 in)."

It also has common sense statements that the separation be adequate for maintenance and repair acces of all facilites.

My home contractor put my water line, gas line, power service, telephone and CATV all in the same 250' ditch with the waterline at the bottom, 8 feet deep and 12" vertical separations for the rest. His bad glue job on the 2" water fitting burst 10 years later. In the repair, my friend running the backhoe ignored my location warning tapes and ripped the gas line and nicked the service cables. Fortunately no real damage just $1000 repair charge from the gas utility.

A bit more horizontal separation would have been much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.