gas and water line bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
In the past, elec inspectors have had me bond gas and water lines (with one continuous #6 Cu wire) to the first means of disconnect. But recently, one allowed me bond them to a subpanel instead of the main panel. It was a lot easier and he said since both panels are grounded together, that will be fine. What is correct ?
Thank you.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
If the water pipe counts as an electrode, it must be connected from within 5' of where it enters the structure back to the service equipment. If there's no qualifying water pipe, then you can bond it anywhere. Gas lines are bonded -- per NEC -- by the EGC of the circuit to the equipment that's connected to the gas lines. When it comes to bonding gas for CSST, though the NEC is silent, I believe the recommendation (or possibly mechanical code) is to bond it to the GES.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
If the water pipe counts as an electrode, it must be connected from within 5' of where it enters the structure back to the service equipment. If there's no qualifying water pipe, then you can bond it anywhere. Gas lines are bonded -- per NEC -- by the EGC of the circuit to the equipment that's connected to the gas lines. When it comes to bonding gas for CSST, though the NEC is silent, I believe the recommendation (or possibly mechanical code) is to bond it to the GES.

Unless you're my inspector - he believes the gas piping can't be bonded because it would mean that the gas supply pipe is then made an electrode. I even pointed out the dielectric union at the gas meter. He then said it could be bonded at the CCST, but not at the iron piping, and couldn't use the same wire as the water bond because... reasons. ugh.

SceneryDriver

Buck Parrish

250. 104 a - b discusses bonding of the piping system. You can use the equipment ground of the appliance or furnace. So you're inspector has been making you do extra work and money for nothing.

You'd be hard pressed to find a good inspector in Indiana. I'm not joking. with the exception of the very south indiana and the very north west

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless you're my inspector - he believes the gas piping can't be bonded because it would mean that the gas supply pipe is then made an electrode. I even pointed out the dielectric union at the gas meter. He then said it could be bonded at the CCST, but not at the iron piping, and couldn't use the same wire as the water bond because... reasons. ugh.
You're in NJ right? Not surprised....

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Oddly, here in So.IN, we have to bond both water and gas lines together, but when I cross the Ohio River into KY, they definitely do not want us to bond the gas line. Interesting. One time I forgot and out of habit I bonded the gas line and he had me disconnect it. KY inspector said "yeah, you Indiana guys"

garbo

I have two problems when it comes to bonding natural gas lines. When I had my gas furnace replaced I did the gas connection. Instructions stated to use an insulated union that feeds furnance. The local fairly large plumbing supply did not have any 1/2, 3/4 or 1" insulated unions so I just used the old union but did replace the old AC ( BX ) cable with MC cable. Maybe 10 years ago at an IAEI continuing education class on CSST tubing bonding the instructor stated that at that time every manufacturer of CSST tubing had their own preferred method of bonding. Does not make any sense. At the same time I had to bond a friends CSST tubing that was installed right on top of 3" baseboard. Local gas company told me to install a bonding jumper between gas & copper water pipe where they entered house. Was told that at least one company was working on a gray colored CSST tubing that was made with more guess conductive material where a bonding jumper might not be needed. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that installing a copper bonding wire from beginning of a CSST to end of ii might make it safer during a lightning strike with or without a surge protector.

Buck Parrish

Oddly, here in So.IN, we have to bond both water and gas lines together, but when I cross the Ohio River into KY, they definitely do not want us to bond the gas line. Interesting. One time I forgot and out of habit I bonded the gas line and he had me disconnect it. KY inspector said "yeah, you Indiana guys"
LOL Next time tel him you secretly bonded it through the equipment ground. per 250.104 (3) B-1

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The appliance end of CSST is bonded by the EGC, which is why nearby lightning strikes can drive current through the CSST by energizing the solid piping connected to the meter end. Bonding the latter to the service EGC/grounding bus effectively bonds both ends of the CSST together, eliminating that current.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
The appliance end of CSST is bonded by the EGC, which is why nearby lightning strikes can drive current through the CSST by energizing the solid piping connected to the meter end. Bonding the latter to the service EGC/grounding bus effectively bonds both ends of the CSST together, eliminating that current.
Same goes for the flex hoses that connect appliances. Parents' friends' house had a near miss lightning strike last summer, and the induced currents were enough to pinhole the flex connector at the dryer in the basement in multiple places. Gas plumbing was bonded through the appliances to code, and it still nearly blew up the house with the resulting gas leak. That's why I'm OK with bonding overkill when it comes to gas piping.

Lightning is wild, and doesn't seem to behave the way you'd expect.

SceneryDriver

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.