Gas furnace

brandon111184

Occupation
Service manager
Hello all, quick question with maybe some code reference that can be given to me for better reference. We have a gas furnace that was replaced by hvac contractor. The hvac contractor installed an appliance cord for the furnace and plugged it into the outlet that was there for the old furnace. We'll the hvac inspector said the cord/plug disconnect isn't allowed. He required it to be on a switch. We then installed a switch and switched the outlet that the cord is plugged into. Now the hvac inspector is requiring the outlet to be removed and we need to make it a hard wired connection from the switch without having the outlet being utilized. Can I get help finding this in the code book where it states he is correct? Or is he at this point picking on the customer. My main concern is that the customer is tight on funds, and we're trying to make this right. Also trying not to provide work if it's not needed. Thank you all

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless the unit came with a cord and plug I agree with the inspector you cannot use a cord where a fixed wiring method is required.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you for the response.
I know that there are places here in the US where the standard wiring method for a furnace is a field installed cord and plug. For whatever reason the AHJ had decided to accept it. The NEC says otherwise.

brandon111184

Occupation
Service manager
The Inspector has reached out to me regarding this issue. His response is that the unit isn't listed for the cord unless we can provide documentation that it is. Hvac provided the cord on the unit, and to avoid warranty issues, we didn't remove it. It looks like they will need to do that and we provide a hardwired connection now. Thanks guys!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The Inspector has reached out to me regarding this issue. His response is that the unit isn't listed for the cord unless we can provide documentation that it is. Hvac provided the cord on the unit, and to avoid warranty issues, we didn't remove it. It looks like they will need to do that and we provide a hardwired connection now. Thanks guys!
I agree with him. Things like dishwashers are explicitly permitted by the NEC to be installed with field installed cord and plugs. I don't think that you can find any documentation saying that about HVAC or heating equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe the hvac guy installed the cord and plug. If not then it would be compliant to use if it came from the factory with that setup. I have never seen a furnace come with cord and plug.

kwired

Electron manager
I believe it is listing issue more so than direct code issue so the NEC citation would be 110.3(B).

This is a type of appliance that normally is not listed for cord and plug connection.

Side note: many newer units with variable speed blower don't play well with GFCI's. Often these are located in a place where if they were allowed to be cord and plug connected the receptacle would require GFCI protection. I have tried to make a temporary connection via cord and plug on say new construction to get by until permanent wiring is completed to the furnace. Can't really do that anymore with these variable speed blower units and still comply with GFCI protection rules for receptacles on the construction site.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What does the instgallation instruction manual for the furnace say? And is the furnace listed by UL or some other acceptable NRTL? If so, and it says it is listed with a cord and plug, then 110.3.B dictates that you follow the manufacturer's instructions.