gas line being bonded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomara5

250.104(B) wants gas lines to be bonded,250.52(B)(1) does not want the gas line used as a grounding electrode. So if im reading continuity around the gas meter wouldn't that be a grounding electrode system?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
250.104(B) wants gas lines to be bonded,250.52(B)(1) does not want the gas line used as a grounding electrode. So if im reading continuity around the gas meter wouldn't that be a grounding electrode system?
It is almost a word game in that case. You do not connect a GEC sized according to the GEC rules, nor do you count it as a grounding electrode.
But it is bonded to earth by the EGC of connected equipment, sized according to EGC rules for the connected equipment. And additional EGC bond to the gas pipe is not needed, but is permitted. Often the gas company will deliberately install a dielectric union to keep fault current away from the main, and it would be a violation to bond around it.
If the piping includes CSST sections there is a separate non-NEC requirement for bonding to keep the section(s) from carrying full lightning related current.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
And most gas service lines are HDPE. GasCo does not want us bonding to a metal gas line as their system has cathodic protection and adding the additional metal affects the cathodic protection

Tomara5

it was my understanding that the gas company had dielectric unions on the gas meters.But I've had electricans put there continunity tester across the gas meter and we read continunity.So I don't have them bond gas line.Its metal pipe leaving the building

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
it was my understanding that the gas company had dielectric unions on the gas meters.But I've had electricans put there continunity tester across the gas meter and we read continunity.So I don't have them bond gas line.Its metal pipe leaving the building

You could read continuity even with a dielectric union if the inside pipe is earthed via equipment connected to it and the outside pipe was earthed through being connected to a network of metal pipe. You might see a few ohms of resistance, but a continuity tester would show continuity.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The gas lines generally don't need bonding if there is a gas furnace or some other gas appliance that has electricity hook to it. Now if the gas lines are CSST then that is a different issue and that must be bonded.

The gas companies use dielectric fittings but I am sure not all of the meters have been upgraded. To be honest we never check continuity around the gas meter. If the gas company doesn't want their pipes used as an electrode then they need to fix it. Probably worth a call to them about the issue.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The gas lines generally don't need bonding if there is a gas furnace or some other gas appliance that has electricity hook to it. Now if the gas lines are CSST then that is a different issue and that must be bonded.

I agree, I often see black gas pipe with bonding jumpers at the HWH but they are not required by the NEC.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I totally agree with Golddigger's points about this. The buried metallic gas supply pipe is in intimate contact with earth and will, electrically, be in continuity with an occupancy's Premises Wiring (System) connection to earth. The gas line meter dielectric union breaks up what would be a parallel continuity path to the gas pipe-->earth-->GES path.

There are various "unbalance" currents passing from the Grounding Electrode System to earth on their path (among other paths) back to their source, mostly the local PoCo transformer. The gas pipe dielectric union prevents those unbalance currents from getting to earth through the buried metallic gas supply pipe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.