Gas Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Would it be permissible to ground the gas line from the meter to the intersystem bonding terminal? This townhouse has CSST pipe entering the house from the gas meter.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Technically--- no. I have seen it done but the intersystem bonding unit is not listed for bonding of a gas pipe. I see it is allowed around here but one issue is that there should be three hole left for other systems and once you install the bonding for the csst then you only have 2 left. I would give the authority having jurisdiction a call.

Around here they allow it in most areas.

chris1971

Technically--- no. I have seen it done but the intersystem bonding unit is not listed for bonding of a gas pipe. I see it is allowed around here but one issue is that there should be three hole left for other systems and once you install the bonding for the csst then you only have 2 left. I would give the authority having jurisdiction a call.

Thanks. I could probably go directly to the ground rod if it's nearby.

kwired

Electron manager
IMO this should be one of the other systems that needs bonding, and part of the reason we put the IBT there is so that others don't need to gain access to inside electrical enclosures to bond their equipment. Bonding CSST is not covered by NEC, IMO it is not an electrical task either, it is the gas piping installer's task. If he wants to pay an electrician to run his bonding wires, that is up to him, but he is still responsible for installing the gas piping according to it's instructions, which may include bonding instructions.

IMO this should be one of the other systems that needs bonding, and part of the reason we put the IBT there is so that others don't need to gain access to inside electrical enclosures to bond their equipment. Bonding CSST is not covered by NEC, IMO it is not an electrical task either, it is the gas piping installer's task. If he wants to pay an electrician to run his bonding wires, that is up to him, but he is still responsible for installing the gas piping according to it's instructions, which may include bonding instructions.

I agree, and if it's not an NEC required bond, then I see no issue using the ISB, unless the CSST instructions say otherwise.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree, and if it's not an NEC required bond, then I see no issue using the ISB, unless the CSST instructions say otherwise.

Well gas metallic gas piping does require bonding according to NEC, but is allowed to be done via EGC of any circuits that may be source for energizing the piping. Just so happens CSST often requires additional bonding requirements per product instructions.

Well gas metallic gas piping does require bonding according to NEC, but is allowed to be done via EGC of any circuits that may be source for energizing the piping. Just so happens CSST often requires additional bonding requirements per product instructions.
Right, we would have to know what exactly this bond is for to say how it be made. I have had vague non code required bonding requirements come up in job specs or instructions now and then and I sometimes don't know how to connect it because it's not required in the first place

One thing that I come across is some inspectors dont consider the appliance utilizing the gas to be the only thing "likely to energize" the gas line. In that case I have had to consider the worst case of the 200 amp service or feeder to be the energizing line.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Minnesota will be swinging to the 2017 NEC in about two weeks.

In the 2017 NEC, the title of 250.94 has be changed to: Bonding for Communication Systems. So, by that alone, the bonding of CSST to the IBT would not be allowed.

The IAEI Analysis of Changes 2017 NEC includes an explanatory comment that proposals to the Code Making Panels to allow bonding of CSST to the IBT have always been rejected in the past and this 2017 cycle makes the CMP perspective even clearer.

chris1971

That's exactly what the AHJ stated. He will also allow me to connect to the intersystem bonding terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.