gas meter bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

I was reading a closed thread about gas lines being bonded and that the appliances being served are adequate for this. I was reading an article about the use of CSST in dwellings. In that they are stating that the meter is required to be bonded w/ a minimum #6 for lightning protection and not due to possible ignition of an appliance source. the bonding jumper is recommended to be attatched at the service equipment. Seems that the use of CSST is becoming controversial in that lightning doesn't have to strike the residence directly but can affect this type of piping from distances away if there are any flaws in the outer coating of the CSST. Anyway I also have not been able to find this in the NEC. I just wanted to put this out there. If anyone is interested Google the following title.

Concerns About CSST Gas Lines - "Grounded" in reality?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I was reading a closed thread about gas lines being bonded and that the appliances being served are adequate for this. I was reading an article about the use of CSST in dwellings. In that they are stating that the meter is required to be bonded w/ a minimum #6 for lightning protection and not due to possible ignition of an appliance source. the bonding jumper is recommended to be attatched at the service equipment. Seems that the use of CSST is becoming controversial in that lightning doesn't have to strike the residence directly but can affect this type of piping from distances away if there are any flaws in the outer coating of the CSST. Anyway I also have not been able to find this in the NEC. I just wanted to put this out there. If anyone is interested Google the following title.

You will not find bonding requirments in the NEC yet. The bonding reqirements will be found in the installation instructions from the manufacturer, NFPA 54, International Fuel gas code and the International Residential Code.

kwired

Electron manager
Seems that the use of CSST is becoming controversial in that lightning doesn't have to strike the residence directly but can affect this type of piping from distances away if there are any flaws in the outer coating of the CSST. Anyway I also have not been able to find this in the NEC. I just wanted to put this out there. If anyone is interested Google the following title.

It isn't that there are flaws in the outer coating, it is the thin wall of the tubing can't always take the transient energy imposed on it and develops pin holes sometimes in such events.

Is not an NEC problem is a problem with the product itself. Most have similar instructions but not all are same instructions. Newer products out there (black jacketed) are not supposed to have the same issues.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
bonding and tracer wires also pose an issue if struck by lightning. i am using tracer for a project and found online some info about it being bad to tape tracer wire directly to pipes (while other article says to tape it to pipe at 3 or 9 o'clock position). the copper tracer can basically turn into a hot plasma and slice through the pipe (metal or plastic) when struck by lightning. in doing some more research i found they sell plastic stand-off's to hold tracer wire ~12" away from the pipe.

i am no expert here, but i guess positioning of bonding/grounding cable is also very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.