Gas Meter & Electrical Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie

Re: Gas Meter & Electrical Panel

NFPA 54 requires three feet to spark producing devices inside and does not apply to outside areas*. Indiana does not adopt that one but it does adopt the "I" code. I said that to make you aware that there are more than one Code and you will have to find out which applies to your area.

* Glenn Z. has brought to my attention that I am wrong. I am asking for clarification and will correct my answer if I am incorrect. I understood this referred to an inside location only but I find nothing in Section 2.7(c) in NFPA 54 indicates either inside or outside locations.

[ June 02, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: charlie ]

bonding jumper

What would classify a spark producing device? Any outlet, switch, panel? Wiring wouldn't be a spark producing device?

There shouldn't be a requirement for outside locations based on the fact that being outside gas dosn't have the ability to concentrate and build up to the point of ignition.

charlie

What would classify a spark producing device? Any outlet, switch, panel?
I agree with you about the inside/outside location. :D

In my opinion an outlet is not a spark producing device since someone would not insert or remove a plug if they smelled heavy gas fumes. The same would apply to an electric, water or gas meter. A switch or a circuit breaker would be a spark producing device.

charlie

OK, serve up the crow :eek: I just got the answer but I didn't like it.

The 2002 Edition of NFPA 54, Section 5.7 applies to inside and outside locations. Since the meter and termination facilities are not considered under the purview of the NEC and are sealed and controlled by the utility, and in consideration of the nature of natural gas, ventilation issues and exterior locations, what this means is that the gas meter and electric meter can be in proximity to each other when installed outdoors in locations and in a manner that provides for good ventilation. Since that is what I normally deal with, I sort of wrote off the outside locations, sorry.

[ June 03, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: charlie ]

gwz2

How should an A/C unit or just a receptacle ( inserting a plug under load ) near a GAS meter being ignition sources ?

Glenn

dkstein

The references to the NFPA are indeed correct, however, in every state that I have worked, every utility provider has their own regulations about this. My best advice, contact your local gas/electric providers.

charlie

DK, you are correct but when talking about Codes, you have to reflect what they say. At IPL, we require 3 feet of separation from the gas meter just for normal working room, not because of any danger (we do not normally have inside metering).

Glenn, if the concentration were right and a plug were pulled under load, an explosion could occur. I can't see someone doing such a thing.

let me add one more thing about gaz meters location majority of them are located outside but i did see few indoor gaz meter but that is going be history fast due my poco regulations requires all gaz meters devices are outdoor for safety reason one of my freind he work in gaz dept. say for outdoor it will be min of 2 feet but any vention sourece ie dryer vent , gaz furance air intake , window have to be a good 4 feet away from the regualter he show me the pic to clearify it ( he did speak in french to me )so both nec and npfa and ulites regulations do fall almost in the same path

merci marc

Status
Not open for further replies.