Gas Station Canopy Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamakazi

I am looking for gas station canopy lighting fixtures. Does anybody have any clue on what wattage or where I can find them. I thinking 250 watts. :-?

Kamakazi

Explosion proof fixtures

Explosion proof fixtures

Are explosion proof fixtures required in gas station canopies 20' high?

hurk27

Here's a 400 watt pulse start multi tap, common to what most use, with the exception of 320 watt PS-MH:

http://www.ruudlightingdirect.com/canopy-parking/canopy-light/cl06940-m.html

Gas stations like it bright so customers feel safe, and it catches the eye of drivers passing by.

There are other brands also, I cant remember the name of the manufacture that makes the round 320 watt PS-MH, very popular around here, maybe its RAAB? as far as explosion proof, never been called on that one.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Are explosion proof fixtures required in gas station canopies 20' high?
Not as a general rule; however, review Section 514.7 and its cross-reference to Section 511.7 for requirements for wiring and equipment above a classified location in fuel dispensing stations and garages.

bullheimer

have to agree with a couple answers above, that is: never had to use explosion proof; canopy lites usually supplied with canopies, inside the island lights are just flourescent lamps anyway. any RAB lite should be fine.

kwired

Electron manager
Often times the wiring to get to the canopy runs through a classified area. You may need Art 500 wiring methods for the portion of the raceway that is effected.

I have seen some places run tank ventilation up the inside of canopy posts and the vent is on top of canopy. There is a classified area near the vent if they do this.

I suggest you read through Art 514 and see what applies to you, depending on how things are arranged it may not involve any classified area or it could all be in a classified area, my guess is at least some of it is going to be in a classified area.

Status
Not open for further replies.