Gas stove

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Installed a dedicated 15 amp circuit for a gas stove 5 or 6 months ago and customer has called and said it’s tripped 4 different times. Circuit is on an afci breaker that I installed as well. Anyone else have trouble with gas stoves and afci’s. I reviewed the 2017 Code this am to see if I could change it to a normal breaker but the wording is clear kitchen outlets need afci protection imo.
Also I should mention that I hate arc fault breakers with a passion.

I am going to go and Meg the circuit and install a new afci and if that doesn’t do it it’s the stove I guess?

Buck Parrish

I feel your pain...
I have heard of other guys having a problem with the igniter causing the afci to trip. Not sure if it was the spark type or the glow stick type.
Did not hear of the out come either.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I am going to go and Meg the circuit and install a new afci and if that doesn’t do it it’s the stove I guess?

Don't bother. Why do people second guess when they have AFCI problems and think there is actually an arcing problem and jump through hoops to find it? Don't you know by now AFCI are 99% useless? It's the igniter generating noise that the stupid AFCI false trips on. Only solution is to replace the AFCI with a regular or GFCI breaker.

Unless someone comes here and suggests the ferrite bead thing, or crystals or maybe praying to the electronical gods...

-Hal

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Don't bother. Why do people second guess when they have AFCI problems and think there is actually an arcing problem and jump through hoops to find it? Don't you know by now AFCI are 99% useless? It's the igniter generating noise that the stupid AFCI false trips on. Only solution is to replace the AFCI with a regular or GFCI breaker.

Unless someone comes here and suggests the ferrite bead thing, or crystals or maybe praying to the electronical gods...

-Hal
I agree I just haven’t gotten comfortable with the liability of a regular breaker.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I agree I just haven’t gotten comfortable with the liability of a regular breaker.
Yeah, with the litigious society we have now…….If I personally wired everything, I wouldn’t be uncomfortable about it, the gfi solution would work, but if somebody else wired it, I could fully understand the hesitation.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

-Hal
Actually, sacrificing a chicken is much more likely to work.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.