Gasoline dispenser on floating dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our marina project has a fuel dispensing/sanitary pump-out area at the end of a 300 ft. long floating dock. The panel is about 90ft. away from the gasoline dispenser, adjacent to the attendant booth. There is a Diesel dispenser and sanitary pump between, but they are outside the 20 ft. classified zone. Fuel lines are in sleeves with recessed boxes (sumps) along the way. The contract drawings do not classify this area. Maybe an over-site? The original design for electrical in this area is a recessed chase with pull-boxes and sleeves for each item and type-W cable. That's no good in this area. Ocal may be an option but there is one "mate-line" to cross within 20 ft.. I don't think MI cable will be good either, considering the corrosive environment. I have done a lot of hazardous-location electrical work but not on the water. We will go back to the engineer with this but I still want to be pro-active with a solution. Any thoughts out there for this situation?

Thanks.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Some comments:

• Section 514.3(D) discusses hazardous location classification for docks, both open and enclosed construction.
  • While most hazardous location classification requirements for diesel don't apply, other Art 514 Sections, such as 514.11 still do. Some other Sections may or may not depending on the situation.
  • We had success with Type RTRC-XW raceways [Section 501.10(B)(1)(6)] at the Port of Long Beach. ("Industrial" may be open to discussion) make sure a qualified Structural Engineer designs the supports.
  • Jacketed Type MC-HL may also be an option.

Some comments:

• Section 514.3(D) discusses hazardous location classification for docks, both open and enclosed construction.
  • While most hazardous location classification requirements for diesel don't apply, other Art 514 Sections, such as 514.11 still do. Some other Sections may or may not depending on the situation.
  • We had success with Type RTRC-XW raceways [Section 501.10(B)(1)(6)] at the Port of Long Beach. ("Industrial" may be open to discussion) make sure a qualified Structural Engineer designs the supports.
  • Jacketed Type MC-HL may also be an option.

Thank you for your input Bob. Waiting for the design firm's response to my observations. One huge hurdle I think would be crossing that "mate-line". They may have to layout the docks so there are no mate-lines in the classified area. We may need to have a transition point above the deck and just outside the this area where we could go to a sealed Class-1, Div-1 method to the dispenser.

Status
Not open for further replies.