Gasoline Storage Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedypetey

Hey all. I don't do any hazardous location work at all. At least I haven't in years.
A good friend asked me to come over to the boat club where he is a member. It seems another member, who is a utility worker (engineer or something like that) ran 2" PVC in the rafters of an open "pavillion" (like apole barn with no walls) for a new service to feed some added docks.
First thing he did was run a weatherhead straight out on the horizontal conduit. This was his intended point of attachment. The conduit was run across the trusses to the other side (+/- 100') to another weatherhead, spliced to a riser, down into a meter pan. Not a very workmanship like job.

Problem one is I feel the unfused service condutors are inside, even though they are in open air they are well under the pavillion roof. I will have to move the meter to the close end.

Second problem. The other end has a 200 amp disconnect, with load side going underground to another pole, an so on.
This disconnect is about 10' from a gasoline storage tank. Not a dispensing tank, just storage.

Will this disconnect fly, or do I have to re-run the whole thing so it is an unbroken conduit running down the corner pole straight underground?
I will then put the disconnect on the other end of the pavillion with the meter.

Any ideas.
Sorry if this is confusing.

charlie

Re: Gasoline Storage Tank

I will have to move the meter to the close end.
The meter is not service equipment. If you are required to move the service, it has to be the disconnecting means with its overcurrent protection. Now it is up to the electric utility rules as to the location of the cash register with respect to location of the service equipment. In my opinion, most electric utility people are not qualified to do NEC regulated work no more than most electricians are not qualified to do NESC regulated work.

Problem one is the call of the AHJ.

Problem two is not a problem unless it violates 514.3. Look for the fill openings and the vents. By the way, you need to read Article 514. In my opinion, that is the Article that applies in this area.

Last, see my answers above and also take a look at the requirements in 352.44. :D

speedypetey

Re: Gasoline Storage Tank

Thanks Charlie.
Sorry for the confusion.
Actually I got a bit mixed up. I did mean to say I would have to move the meter and disconnect to the other end, obviously since the conductors would still be unfused across the pavilion if just the meter were moved.

I will check out the articles mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.