Gastite bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
This same letter has been passed to all of the local building departments in the 3 or 4 counties around here. It has prompted a response from the building departments that I have never seen before. I know a letter has been sent to Albany (NY) to elicite a response from the state as to how to treat this situation. My guess is we will soon start requiring an additional ground to the gas pipe other than the EGC with the appliance...just a good guess.

cpal

electricmanscott said:
I know there was another thread on this but I don't think there has been enough attention brought to it. Mike Whitt brought it up on another board.

Any comments

Is this not an issue directed by one manufacture? Has any local inspectors (other than Gas) required a ground connection to the CSST???

If so under what authority?

bphgravity

Here's an article our department put out concerning the issue:

A type of very commonly installed corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) used for gas lines into homes and commercial buildings could cause a fire in the event of a lightning strike, a nationwide class action lawsuit filed in Arkansas claims.

Jack McDonald, Chief Mechanical Inspector for the North Port Building Department, says this type of tubing has been installed in several residential developments and homes in North Port.

The Building Department is encouraging those who may be affected by the lawsuit to learn what their rights are under the terms of a pending settlement agreement with the four companies who manufacture the tubing: Titeflex Corporation, Ward Manufacturing, Inc., OmegaFlex, Inc., and Park Hannifin Corp.

“I think that if anybody has this situation, it would be very advisable to take advantage of the issue,” McDonald said.

The settlement agreement is likely to be certified by the Court on February 1. Under its terms, any individual or legal entity who owns structures anywhere in the United States in which CSST made by any of the four companies was installed as of September 5, 2006, is eligible for relief.

The relief is in the form of a payment voucher that can be used either toward the installation of a lightning protection system or for bonding and grounding of systems that are likely to be energized by a lightning strike.

CSST tubing consists of a flexible stainless steel pipe, typically covered with a yellow exterior plastic coating. One of the products manufactured by OmegaFlex, called “COUNTERSTRIKE,” is covered with a black coating with yellow lettering.

The coating is stamped with the name of the manufacturer. Ward’s is stamped “WARDFLEX”; OmegaFlex’s is stamped “TRACPIPE” or “COUNTERSTRIKE”; and Parker Hannifin’s is stamped “PARFLEX.” Titeflex’s product is called “GASTITE.”

It is possible to visually identify the tubing if it is exposed to view. It may be visible along floor joists, above basements, in attic spaces or connected to exposed appliances such as water heaters.

A claim form may be filed either electronically or by mail.

To file a claim online or to request that a form be mailed to you, click here.

The deadline for filing a claim is September 5, 2007.

To obtain a copy of the settlement agreement, write to the CSST Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 4349, Portland, OR 97208-4349. You may also call the Toll Free Settlement Information Line, 1 (800) 420-2916.

The settlement agreement legal notice is also available at the North Port Building Department in North Port City Hall, 4970 City Hall Blvd. For further information, contact Jack McDonald at 429-7179.

Minuteman

I was at a trade show this last weekend. Vendors were there from HVAC, Plumbing, & Electric. Anyway, I stopped at the Gaslite booth and asked the guy about the bonding. He said that no doubt that bonding will be required in future code cycles. The touchy subject is the existing CSST that's out there. Who will pay to bond it? The class action seeks moneys for end users to hire an electrician to perform the bond.

The problem is, the class action also seeks lightning protection for the home, to be paid by the CSST manufactures, since the bonding issue came to the forefront after some homes were lightning struck.

cpal

Minuteman said:
II stopped at the Gaslite booth and asked the guy about the bonding. He said that no doubt that bonding will be required in future code cycles. .

Which codes did this individual refer to??
NFPA 70?, 54, 58, or building or local???

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
I sent an e-mail about this to the Massachusetts board on Friday. If I hear back from them it will get posted here. It seems that a consensus needs to be made until it can be written into the NEC. ;)

cpal

yanici said:
I sent an e-mail about this to the Massachusetts board on Friday. If I hear back from them it will get posted here. It seems that a consensus needs to be made until it can be written into the NEC. ;)

Which Board????
Electrical
Plumbing
BBRS
BFPR

The Mass Electrical Code does not "directly" address the issue other than 250.104 (B). Enforcement IMO will require a ruling form the Board of Plumbers, and as mentioned the plumber of gas fitter will need the services of a licensed electrician.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
Charlie, I sent the e-mail to the electrical board. I do realize that Gastite is requiring bonding in their installation instructions. It will be interesting to see what the electrical board has to say "officially".

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I wonder why this is any different than using black pipe for gas. It has a similar potential for lightning strikes, and a similar potential for fire if hit by lightning.

iwire

Staff member
petersonra said:
I wonder why this is any different than using black pipe for gas. It has a similar potential for lightning strikes, and a similar potential for fire if hit by lightning.

Apparently it does make a difference as this problem had not cropped up with black iron.

Gastite is very thin walled stainless steel.

Minuteman

cpal said:
Which codes did this individual refer to??
NFPA 70?, 54, 58, or building or local???
Charlie, I believe that he was implying that it would be added to the NFPA 70 in future cycles, but that would be his "unprofessional" opinion.

Minuteman

iwire said:
Apparently it does make a difference as this problem had not cropped up with black iron.

Gastite is very thin walled stainless steel.
If the gas service to the building is bonded properly, as it should be, one would think that the black iron would not be a problem.

Therefore, a bond from the Iron to the appliance connected with CSST would only be required. IMO

NoVA Comms Power

petersonra said:
... I wonder why this is any different than using black pipe for gas ...
An decent overview of the class action suit is at http://www.pddocs.com/csst/documents/Ex.2.CSA.pdf

Once you get past the initial pages "legaleese" it has a fairly straightforward explanation of the basis of the suit (starting at about page 7) ...

... which apparently had enough merit to get the four named CSST manufacturers to "agree" to a $28M settlement.

electricmanscott

I also sent an email to Rich Fredette at the Mass board. But in reality what do we do NOW. Not when all this shakes out at some later date. I see this stuff in just about every job I do that has gas. Most times it is an addition to the existing steel pipe system to supply a stove. According to the manufacturer I would have to run a # ?? (not exactly clear) from the service to this small section of pipe to properly bond it.

cpal

electricmanscott said:
I also sent an email to Rich Fredette at the Mass board. But in reality what do we do NOW. Not when all this shakes out at some later date. I see this stuff in just about every job I do that has gas. Most times it is an addition to the existing steel pipe system to supply a stove. According to the manufacturer I would have to run a # ?? (not exactly clear) from the service to this small section of pipe to properly bond it.

As electrical inspectors we watch. As contractors you negotiate. There is no requirement in the MEC to cause an electrical inspector to issue a violation if the CSST is not bonded. 250.104 (B) is covered once an appliance is plugged in.

If another enforcing official pressures the gas pipe installer to Bond (Ground) per mfg instructions then we look for a permit and ensure that the work is performed by a qualified individual.

This matter has been addressed without decision.

mpd

if the problem is with the csst, how is bonding the fitting going to solve the problem, does anybody know if the csst fitting & csst are electrically continuous when connected

cpal

mpd said:
if the problem is with the csst, how is bonding the fitting going to solve the problem, does anybody know if the csst fitting & csst are electrically continuous when connected

The problem (as I see it) is that the mfg of the csst is requiring it. So at some point the gas fitter is going to have to make sure that it is done.

mpd

I agree charlie, but I think at some point it will be everybodys problem, I am just curious about the connection of the fitting to the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.