Gate Amperage and Setups

Customer wants to install a gate in their driveway. 500 feet from the house. They dont have a gate guy yet. Im in process of running conduit and trenching.

Wondering if all gates are similar? Is it 120 or 240? How many amps should I figure for? 1 circuit or 2?

Thinking maybe running #10thhn to midway point JB then out with 10-3 UF to gate area. He did say he needed Cat7 but nothing regarding power yet.

Thanks

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
No one can answer you without info from the specific gate that is going to be installed. Some are completely AC driven with a decent load for that distance.

Some are DC driven with AC trickle charge.

Lots of variables. I wouldn’t put no wire in the ground without first knowing what it was supplying.

No one can answer you without info from the specific gate that is going to be installed. Some are completely AC driven with a decent load for that distance.

Lots of variables. I wouldn’t put no wire in the ground without first knowing what it was supplying.
I agree and told the customer just that. They are nuts with the constant changes and procrastination. They dont mind doing things twice and paying for it.

I never did a gate before so its interesting what you said. Driveway width is about 16 feet, not sure if that helps

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I may be old, but I can't believe there is such a large amount of server level electronics in a gate controller that Cat 7 underground wiring would be needed.
Why wouldn't they want fiber instead.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The few I have installed and wired were like this. One or two batteries and a 120v-LV wall-wart.

Only the LV wire had to be run from the shed to the unit, plus the control wiring, of course.

You might consider a DC unit with solar-cell charging and not have to run the 500' for power.

I have no idea why network wiring is needed.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The few I have installed and wired were like this. One or two batteries and a 120v-LV wall-wart.

Only the LV wire had to be run from the shed to the unit, plus the control wiring, of course.

You might consider a DC unit with solar-cell charging and not have to run the 500' for power.

I have no idea why network wiring is needed.
I imagine some gate operators have the capability to integrate with and be controlled by Home Automation systems. This generally requires either short range interconnections like Zigbee or network access. 500 feet is likely to be out of reliable WiFi range, but also beyond the nominal range of twisted pair ethernet. Fiber itself is not outrageously expensive but the terminating equipment may be and the bending radius limits must be addressed in conduit runs.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I imagine some gate operators have the capability to integrate with and be controlled by Home Automation systems. This generally requires either short range interconnections like Zigbee or network access. 500 feet is likely to be out of reliable WiFi range, but also beyond the nominal range of twisted pair ethernet. Fiber itself is not outrageously expensive but the terminating equipment may be and the bending radius limits must be addressed in conduit runs.
Pre terminated fiber is available, and not very expensive, but end configuration would be needed before ordering to match the transition equipment.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Also need to find out whether you need power on both sides of the driveway or just one. A 16' wide driveway probably requires a motor on each side and a dual gate. That could be 2 conduits crossing under the driveway (power and control) or 1 big one with cables in it.

Do they want 120V lights out by the gate posts? That would be another need to cross the driveway with a switched conductor for the lights. 120V receptacles at the end of the driveway can be convenient too, and the openers may need just that.