Gate operator loop wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
I need to replace a gate operator driveway loop that i cut accidentally. Its 16awg wire, but what type is it? I think I made out TFN on the label... Anybody with any experience on these?

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I haven't used any for a long time, but I recall using 16 & 18 TFFN for control wiring. It was very similar to THHN/THWN. Has tough outer jacket, good for rough pulling. I think the smaller sizes only came in TFFN and #14 or larger came in THHN/THWN. Unless dual rated, I don't think TFFN is good for UG burial.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I only have minor experience, estimating jobs with detector loops on them, however, I am under the impressionn that the loop is a manufactured item with "pigtail leads" purchased as a single item, not wire that you pull.

kwired

Electron manager
I only have minor experience, estimating jobs with detector loops on them, however, I am under the impressionn that the loop is a manufactured item with "pigtail leads" purchased as a single item, not wire that you pull.

Most of these manufactured items are just conveniently assembled and are made the right size for the application.

The basic operation is nothing more than a loop, when a metal object is inside the loop the inductance of the loop changes and the current flowing in the loop changes because of the change in inductance. The controller makes appropriate response when that change happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.