gauging wire size

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
On old panels or wires that don't have the wire size on them what's the best way to tell what size wire it is ?
Get an old electrician to look at it, but not always. I'm an example of not always.
You need to measure the diameter and do the math to calculate the area. The NEC has tables.

Eta: the bare conductor itself, not the insulation

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I already ordered some plastic calipers after reading this comment. Thanks for the idea!

Rob G, Seattle
Just realize that if you're measuring the insulation that different insulations on the same size conductor will have different diameters.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I used to have a round plastic thing with notches corresponding to AWG size. I can't remember where I got it, or what happened to it. I think it was a freebie from someone. I don't see why you couldn't make one. Basically a "Go-No Go" gauge. They were invented By Whitworth to eliminate production errors.

download (6).jpg

Yes that Whitworth

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I used to have a round plastic thing with notches corresponding to AWG size. I can't remember where I got it, or what happened to it. I think it was a freebie from someone. I don't see why you couldn't make one. Basically a "Go-No Go" gauge. They were invented By Whitworth to eliminate production errors.

View attachment 2566052

Yes that Whitworth
I found these yesterday when I was looking around online.

Rob G, Seattle

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just realize that if you're measuring the insulation that different insulations on the same size conductor will have different diameters.
Of course. Often there's a little bare exposed right next to the lug.

I picture making a little cheat sheet. Possibly adding dimensions of the insulation as well including older wiring.

Rob G, Seattle