gcfi

Status
Not open for further replies.

topend

I recently wired a friend's garage. The power to the garage is controlled by 3-way switches, supplied by a couple of 12/2 UF cables (a neutral used in one cable and the gobees in the other). Out of the common on the 3-way in the garage I went to a junction box ran a set of conductors to the lighting and a set to a GFCI recept. From the GFI I fed through to 8 additional receptacles. Initial problem was that I plugged my 3-pronged circuit analyzer into the GFI (and downstream receptacles) the push to trip button on it did not trip the GFI, but flashed one additional light on the tester.
It was late and I told him we'd figure it out later. In the meantime, he replaced the GFI and now as soon as there is a load (table saw) the GFI trips. Any ideas?
Thanks.

G

Re: gcfi

Alrighty then. I usually breast my cards but I'll bite: What's a gobees? :)

I cannot think about a complete answer until I have the facts straight. I think I'm with you on the rest of the circuit.

Go-bee is in my spell checker (ieSpell), but Mirriam-Webster does not have go-bee nor explain it.

Ed MacLaren

I think he must mean the 3-way "travellers" or "runners", as some call them.

Go-betweens, maybe??? Sure, they go between the two switches. :roll:

Ed

[ September 15, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

You tell us- what does the additional light on the GFI tester mean? You have the tester and manual. The table saw motor could have some leakage to ground or maybe it's not wired properly or maybe the problem goes back to what the GFI tester was telling you.

Status
Not open for further replies.