GE is it smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

I guess iam getting older but is GE getting harder to terminate ?
95070faa.jpg
8e13d806.jpg
6defe6a9.jpg

I like square D but GE is harder today to make up whats your favorite?

You cant get into the back of the gear to make connections on the neutrals or grounds !

If this gear was on the wall meaning the back closed which in another room we have its a bitch !

Last edited:

ohmhead

Its all Simpull wire no soap first time i used it and iam happy we had 435 foot runs and no soap it does what they say !

And no color mistakes !:D

kwired

Electron manager
I seem to have a harder time with landing control conductors in todays devices than I used to.

I can't seem to put a #14 into a simple single pole contact block without getting the wrong angle of entry and losing some strands. A lot of finger safe devices out there are difficult to enter with the conductors.

Why do they need to be finger safe if we are not supposed to work on them live:-?

Gear like in the OP requires planning to terminate certain areas first so that other conductors are not in the way to do it later. Still doesn't mean everything will be as easy as you would like.

stevebea

I guess iam getting older but is GE getting harder to terminate ?
95070faa.jpg
8e13d806.jpg
6defe6a9.jpg

I like square D but GE is harder today to make up whats your favorite?

You cant get into the back of the gear to make connections on the neutrals or grounds !

If this gear was on the wall meaning the back closed which in another room we have its a bitch !
Nice looking install!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't seem to put a #14 into a simple single pole contact block without getting the wrong angle of entry and losing some strands. A lot of finger safe devices out there are difficult to enter with the conductors.
Have you tried using needle-nose pliers as extended fingers?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

If the gear requires rear access, minimum clearances are required per 110.26, meaning it would not be allowed to be set against a wall.

Roger

ohmhead

If the gear requires rear access, minimum clearances are required per 110.26, meaning it would not be allowed to be set against a wall.

Roger

Na its a closed back Roger but the lugs and buss are in the same spot as the one with the rear doors on the back in the photo so the Nec requirement doesnt apply to it .

What were trying to see if anyone else had the same issue the same gear on there site or project and what there thoughts were we kinda think it sucks and like SQ D better it just seems to me that access should be all connections not just during termination time meaning if you connect grounds and neutrals first your fine but what do you do when its service time take out all the feeders to get to one feed?

When its on the wall i like to see the designer come out and make it up for us . LOL

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I seem to have a harder time with landing control conductors in todays devices than I used to.

Why do they need to be finger safe if we are not supposed to work on them live:-?

Gear like in the OP requires planning to terminate certain areas first so that other conductors are not in the way to do it later. Still doesn't mean everything will be as easy as you would like.
Wego pins are excellent for such applications. A small sleeve terminal that slides on stranded wire. Crimp it down & you have a solid wire. In a few situations, they don't work well because the sleeve is too short before it flares out to an insulated collar. Don't know if you can order longer ones or not. I use to sometimes strip extra long, put a Wego on with strands running out. Crimp it on, cut just the sleeve from another & put in on end of wire, doubling sleeve length. Worked fairly well. Most supply houses don't have them in stock. Have to order them. Can get kits with many sizes & a crimper. Crimper is very high. Radio Shack has a simple 1 for about $10 that works well for occasional use. Worth it to get good one if using every day.

Jlarson

Wego pins are excellent for such applications. A small sleeve terminal that slides on stranded wire. Crimp it down & you have a solid wire. In a few situations, they don't work well because the sleeve is too short before it flares out to an insulated collar. Don't know if you can order longer ones or not...

You can get them in different lengths.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Wego pins are excellent for such applications. A small sleeve terminal that slides on stranded wire. Crimp it down & you have a solid wire. In a few situations, they don't work well because the sleeve is too short before it flares out to an insulated collar. Don't know if you can order longer ones or not. I use to sometimes strip extra long, put a Wego on with strands running out. Crimp it on, cut just the sleeve from another & put in on end of wire, doubling sleeve length. Worked fairly well. Most supply houses don't have them in stock. Have to order them. Can get kits with many sizes & a crimper. Crimper is very high. Radio Shack has a simple 1 for about $10 that works well for occasional use. Worth it to get good one if using every day.

heres a link to wago's .http://www.wago.us/news/1368.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.