GE Power Break 4000A breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkette100

Hi I have a 4000A Power Break Breaker with a Micro VersaTrip installed in a NEW elementary school it was installed in 2006 we took possession of the school summer 2006. The breaker began tripping about once every 6 months in December 2006. It happened at night early morning and weekends when nothing was being used. I had called GE on different occasions to see if this was a common problem since no other breakers trip at the same time. They suggested that the contractor that installed it may not have programmed it right causing nuiscance tripping. We reprogramed it and that lasted about 1 year. Now I find out this particular breaker and trip unit was discontinued in the mid 80's so replacement parts are unavailable. The prints for the school call out for a 120/208V 4000A main breaker. GE designed this and submitted it through WESCO knowing this is an obsolete and probably faulty piece of equipment, there have been recalls on the trip unit but they won't tell me if this unit should have been part of the recall. They won't give me the manufacture date of the breaker I know that it can be determined by the serial number. Has anyone else had similar problems with this breaker? If so how was it resolved? I know the main and the switchgear has been designed to operate at 480/277V I was wondering if when the load drops to nearly no current 100A or less it causes a problem due to the low draw? Hopefully some one will have had a similar situation and found a way to resolve it economically. GE must have had this sitting somewhere and the person that unloaded it got a big bonus.

Thanks,
Pat

brian john

There are a different generations of Micro VersaTrips You can get retrofits for this circuit breaker, Zog (a member here) will have more information.

zog

A powerbreak I with MVT in a new school? That is odd, someone saved a bunch of money but it wasn't GE, likely the spec allowed for it and the EC had one .

Post all the nameplate and trip unit data, photos would be even better, I should be able to help you out.

templdl

There is no cause of trip indication on the TU? I would zero in on a GF trip. If there is no GF coordination it is very likely a GF trip. Personally I would set the GF pick up and delay at the highest settings since there is no setting requirements for GF pick up and delay.
But O would certainly explore the down stream OCPDs to find out if it would be reasonable to add a GF feature.
Just a thought. I believe it to be unreasonable to believe that the breaker would trip on either thermal (long time) or instantaneous (magnetic) and also short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.