GE Powerbreak FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Had a competitor call me last night about some Powerbreak II breakers he could not get to charge after they disconnected the temporary generator during the hurricane aftermath. All six of the main breakers (six switch rule) would not latch and charge the spring. He had a call into GE, but while he was waiting for them to return his call, he called me to see if I had any thoughts on why they would not charge. GE finally called him back, and said it was the catch melted on the charge mechanism. He would have to pull the front of the breaker off to get it to latch. I thought it was real unusual to have six at one time go out. I don't know if GE is fixing this as a recall, or just telling customers there SOL, pay us more money to fix it.

jeremysterling

Thanks hillbilly1 for passing that along. I see these breakers all the time. I think that is great your competitor asks for your opinions on technical issues.

Masterinbama: The recall info is good. But I'm puzzled by this statement: "Based on field data and
reliability modeling this potential defect is an infant mortality issue and should present itself within the first 35 days of energization." Italics added by me.

I guess they don't call it a lemon anymore...

masterinbama

Thanks hillbilly1 for passing that along. I see these breakers all the time. I think that is great your competitor asks for your opinions on technical issues.

Masterinbama: The recall info is good. But I'm puzzled by this statement: "Based on field data and
reliability modeling this potential defect is an infant mortality issue and should present itself within the first 35 days of energization." Italics added by me.

I guess they don't call it a lemon anymore...

A breaker that fails to trip to me is not a good thing.

I was personally burned by a Westinghouse breaker that failed to open all three poles. I take breaker failures seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.