GEC connection to water pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

datco

I am upgrading a house to 400A service and moving it to an underground feed. I plan to mount the meter base outside the garage and will place a ground rod there and connect it to the meter base. Inside the garage I will install two 200A disconnects and feed two 200A panels from there. One will be located in the garage and the 2nd in the basement of the house. This rural property has a well with the water pipe entering into the basement on the opposite wall from where the basement panel will be. Should I run a GEC from the water pipe to the panel in the basement or does it have to go all the way back to the meter base? Also, the water pipe is plastic when it enters the basement, not copper. Do I connect to it as close as I can after it is converted to copper or does it really matter? Should the well casing be connected also since it is 6 inch diameter steel and goes down over 100 feet?

luke warmwater

Re: GEC connection to water pipe

You're going to need a 1/0 copper from one of the (2) 200amp disconnects and a #4 copper from the other disconnect as per 250.66. The 1/0cu will go to the copper water line, the #4 will bug on to the 1/0 most likely above or below the disconnects at some point.

If it is plastic comming in, you can hit the copper wherever. it does not have to be within 5' of where it connects.
The well casing would make a good elctrode, but it is not required to be used since your pipe is plastic.

See 250.52.

Also, where I am, the Power Company will not allow us to ground inside the meter socket. It is not an NEC violation, but it is the POCO rules here. I would make sure you can do it at yours to be safe.
Otherwise, you'll need (2) #6cu. (1) from each disconnect.

james wuebker

In my area this meter socket they will let you run the ground wire to it. Not sure if your talking about a 320a meter socket which a lot of us then just call it a 400 amp service. Anyway to what you asked. If you do run the grounding wire to the meter socket then you would need a # 3 wire for that. Then from your meter to each disconnect you would have to run 4 wires to each. 2 (hots) 1 (neutral) and 1 Ground wire which should be #6. From your disconnects to each panel the same way as you did a each disconnect. Now for the water pipe because it's pvc you don't have to run an wire to your water pipe. If it was me I would and hook on to where it goes from pvc to copper. Run this back to you panel with # 6 in the basement. This will insure you that if any live circuit came into contact with the water pipe system it would short out and trip the circuits breaker. Does any of this my sense to you. Members: Any input on what I have said?
Bye now,
Jim

charlie

Not sure if your talking about a 320a meter socket which a lot of us then just call it a 400 amp service.
Jim, I am sure he is talking about a 320 ampere meter fitting. They are the same as a 400 ampere service because they are rated to carry 320 amperes continuously.
If you do run the grounding wire to the meter socket then you would need a # 3 wire for that.
I do not understand why you need anything larger than a #6 from the meter fitting to the ground rod?
Then from your meter to each disconnect you would have to run 4 wires to each. 2 (hots) 1 (neutral) and 1 Ground wire which should be #6.
Again, I don't understand how you need a #6 for the grounding conductor when the grounded conductor serves that purpose until the grounding conductor is created in the service equipment.

I have a feeling that you mean for this to be installed differently than I am picturing the installation. :confused:

jwelectric

Mr. Eldridge it would be my belief that Jim is thinking of a combo pack as is mostly used around my area. This is where the meter has two mains installed in it.

This is the set up I install so that I don?t have to mess with the existing panel except to isolate the grounded conductor. I am a very lazy person and wouldn?t even breath if it didn?t come natural therefore it is safe to say that this type of installation would be the easiest in most cases.
:)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by datco:
I plan to mount the meter base outside the garage and will place a ground rod there and connect it to the meter base. Inside the garage I will install two 200A disconnects and feed two 200A panels from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.