GEC for SDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say I have a GEC for a service that passes near an SDS. Also say that the electrodes listed in 250.30(A)(4) are not available or not as close as the Service GEC. Can I bug onto the service GEC to ground the SDS? Does that connection need to be irreversible? Strangely, I am not seeing this as allowed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Say I have a GEC for a service that passes near an SDS. Also say that the electrodes listed in 250.30(A)(4) are not available or not as close as the Service GEC. Can I bug onto the service GEC to ground the SDS? Does that connection need to be irreversible? Strangely, I am not seeing this as allowed.

It is a curious requirement. Can you use exception #2?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If there is no metal water pipe or structural metal electrode, you can... but as long as either of the two are 'available', you have to go to the nearest. Now, deciding what is available can be somewhat tricky because the first sentence of 250.30(A)(4) says...
The grounding electrode shall be as near as practicable to, and preferably in the same area as, the grounding electrode conductor connection to the system.
If by the AHJ interpretation neither are 'available', then under Exception No. 1 you can bug onto an existing GEC... irreversibly... or just run to the electrode itself.

If there is no metal water pipe or structural metal electrode, you can... but as long as either of the two are 'available', you have to go to the nearest. Now, deciding what is available can be somewhat tricky because the first sentence of 250.30(A)(4) says...

If by the AHJ interpretation neither are 'available', then under Exception No. 1 you can bug onto an existing GEC... irreversibly... or just run to the electrode itself.

That is my thinking that I can hit the gec, but it must be irreversible - doesnt really make logical sense imo

Status
Not open for further replies.