GEC in EMT and sleeved with RMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekelec

Is there any rule on bonding ferrous sleeve if I run GEC in ferrous metal raceway?
It's only a hypothetical question.
I know the raceway has to be bonded on both ends due to high frequency of lighting event but what if i have to use a sleeve on top of that for example for fire stoping?
respect

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is there any rule on bonding ferrous sleeve if I run GEC in ferrous metal raceway?
It's only a hypothetical question.
I know the raceway has to be bonded on both ends due to high frequency of lighting event but what if i have to use a sleeve on top of that for example for fire stoping?
respect
For a short run (a foot or two for firestop penetration), and as long as the circuit conductors inside the sleeve carry only balanced current from normal loads, I do not see it as a big deal. If you are worried about lightning strikes, bonding the sleeve in any way other than to the conduit at both ends of the sleeve is not going to make a bit of difference.
Maybe a lightning expert can comment further on that.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
For a short run (a foot or two for firestop penetration), and as long as the circuit conductors inside the sleeve carry only balanced current from normal loads, I do not see it as a big deal. If you are worried about lightning strikes, bonding the sleeve in any way other than to the conduit at both ends of the sleeve is not going to make a bit of difference.
Maybe a lightning expert can comment further on that.
GoldDigger, the OP is talking about the GEC and the NEC requires both ends of the raceway to be bonded to the GEC regardless of length. IMO the sleeve would also need to be bonded (per the NEC). Do I think it's a big deal, no.Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.