GEC splice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'm going to take a stab at it, since I had an inspector point it out to me. Not all crimps, lugs, etc are grounding and bonding rated. The YGS8C is.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm going to take a stab at it, since I had an inspector point it out to me. Not all crimps, lugs, etc are grounding and bonding rated. The YGS8C is.

I would have taken pretty much the same stab at it. I did not look it up but am pretty certain the catalog number with the "G" in it is the one rated for grounding. It also likely recommends a different crimping tool than the other model, I think that is true for most all connectors rated for grounding, I think they compress at a higher pressure level.

Occupation
Inspector
I would have taken pretty much the same stab at it. I did not look it up but am pretty certain the catalog number with the "G" in it is the one rated for grounding. It also likely recommends a different crimping tool than the other model, I think that is true for most all connectors rated for grounding, I think they compress at a higher pressure level.

I just wonder why would grounding need to have a higher pressure level than any other splice?

sandsnow

There are two cases I found where the connection has to be made with a device listed for grounding and bonding. The splicing of the GEC and the Intersystem Bonding terminal 250.94.

Everything else has the option of using simply Listed devices. Even the where a ground bus (to connect bonding jumpers to) in 250.64(F) just requires listed connector.

Doesn't seem to make sense.

Occupation
Inspector
There are two cases I found where the connection has to be made with a device listed for grounding and bonding. The splicing of the GEC and the Intersystem Bonding terminal 250.94.

Everything else has the option of using simply Listed devices. Even the where a ground bus (to connect bonding jumpers to) in 250.64(F) just requires listed connector.

Doesn't seem to make sense.

You can say that again. I guess I need to start looking for the correct tools and materials.

gndrod

Burndy

Burndy

What is the difference between a Brundy YS8C and a YGS8C crimp as it relates to splicing a GEC, indoors?

Hi Norb,

It's been a while, but your question needs a simple answer. Burndy has been around as long as I remember when installing rack and panel equipment in the 50's. The difference has a two-fold answer....that YS8C is either an 8 Awg Cu-tin plated inline splice HYLINK crimp barrel or HYLUG one hole crimp copper tin-plated 8 Awg lug.

The YGS8C is a HYGROUND 8 Awg compression terminal of various configurations that are used to bond a cross-grid system together in a foundation (rebar cross-grid) or direct buried configuration such as used in radio tower ground ring splices. I would say that the old technology has disappeared for bonding Cu direct burial rays from a ring, but the cross-grid rebar or shield grid bonding in structures is very common. I hope this helps. rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.