GEC stapled to drywall in garage ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEOH

To get the 4 AWG Bare GEC from the Inverter to the Main Service Panel, we stapled the GEC to the drywall at the 16" OC stud locations in the Garage = "Securely Fastened to the surface". After 10' of drywall, then we penetrated the common wall to enter the basement where we have drilled holes through the joists all the way to the Main Service Panel. Is stapling the GEC to the finished garage drywall "protection from physical damage" ?

cuba_pete

Your AHJ's opinion is really the only one that matters.

Some electricians feel that if you can see it, it can be damaged. However, putting wiring in most plastic or metallic conduit/tubing, etc. still wouldn't stop an axe from cutting it.

If it's good enough for the man, then it's good enough.

I personally wouldn't want an exposed fault path in any occupied space, though.:angel:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If you ask me, staples in drywall is not a secure fastener. Those staples would need to go into some wood behind the drywall to be secure.

I also agree with NYSolar, I can't think of a reason under the 2011 code or later that you wouldn't run your grounding wire with your circuit conductors. Is Ohio still on the 2008 code?

mgookin

If you ask me, staples in drywall is not a secure fastener. Those staples would need to go into some wood behind the drywall to be secure.

we stapled the GEC to the drywall at the 16" OC stud locations in the Garage

I think they're in the studs.

I agree if inspector says its ok, it's ok. That's the way the lovely code is so lovely worded!

Status
Not open for further replies.