GEC to intersystem bond bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
There is no electrical reason, none that I can think of anyway. There is a lot of ritual and ceremony surrounding connections to the earth in the minds of a lot of folks and I think that carries over into some of what is written in Art. 250. For instance, there is no reason for the grounding electrode conductor to be unspliced either.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You have to use one of the methods and/or clamps listed in 250.
The innersystem bridge is not listed there nor is it listed by a NTL for that purpose.

These are the legal reasons, from a practicable standpoint I don't see a problem.

You have to use one of the methods and/or clamps listed in 250.
The innersystem bridge is not listed there nor is it listed by a NTL for that purpose.

These are the legal reasons, from a practicable standpoint I don't see a problem.

Just to be precise: the busbar allowed in 250.64(D)(1)(3) does not have to be listed for the purpose nor listed at all. The connectors must be listed. So...if you happen to find an "intersystem bonding bridge" that was the correct dimensions and was listed, I would think that would mean the (integral) connectors would be listed, so you could use it. Maybe in another galaxy, perhaps Andromeda its pretty big, they have intersystem bonding bridges that are at least 1/4" by 2" ;)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Can anyone explain why it's not allowed to use an intersystem bond bar for the GECs from a multi meter /multi disconnect service ?
You can use it for the GEC's required in certain Chapter 7 & 8 applications. It is basically for interconnecting and terminating grounding conductors from telephone, CATV, radio and TV antennas. See 250.94. An intersystem bond bar is not intended for use within the grounding electrode system required under Article 250 Part III.

nickelec

In nyc when i do a service that consists of more then one panel, disconnects, meters etc they perfer it done this way all the bonds connected to a copper ground bar along with the ground rod and water main

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
In nyc when i do a service that consists of more then one panel, disconnects, meters etc they perfer it done this way all the bonds connected to a copper ground bar along with the ground rod and water main
"This way" is fine if it is appropriately sized bus bar. Listed intersystem bond bars are too small.

nickelec

We dont use an intersystem bond bar for all the bonds what i ment is we use a copper isolated ground bar typically seen in data rooms the intersystem bond bar is only used for tv and cable providers so they don't use our svc mast as a ground its a local code here

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
We dont use an intersystem bond bar for all the bonds what i ment is we use a copper isolated ground bar typically seen in data rooms the intersystem bond bar is only used for tv and cable providers so they don't use our svc mast as a ground its a local code here
okay... just that you gotta be specific here or someone like me will pick your post to pieces... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.