GEC without pipe through free air above ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transportation Guy

250.120 (c) says that EGC's smaller than #6 shall be protected from physical damage. Does this mean running a 3/0 through the ceiling in free air is permitted by code? I know its not that simple but cannot find where it says otherwise. We have to run our cold water ground roughly 80' across a layin tile ceiling to connect to the cold water pipe. Thoughts? Is above the grid considered "free from expsoure to physical damage"?

Cheers

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
250.120 (c) says that EGC's smaller than #6 shall be protected from physical damage. Does this mean running a 3/0 through the ceiling in free air is permitted by code? I know its not that simple but cannot find where it says otherwise. We have to run our cold water ground roughly 80' across a layin tile ceiling to connect to the cold water pipe. Thoughts? Is above the grid considered "free from expsoure to physical damage"?

Cheers

IMO it is protected from damage.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
A 3/0 to a water pipe sounds like a GEC, or perhaps a bonding jumper of some sort, but not an EGC. It's probably governed by 250.64, not 250.120. But in my opinion that type of installation would still be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.