GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP

Enphase Micro inverters , AHJ wants us to drive 2 ground rods because the concrete encased electrode is not accessible, we can see GEC in MSP but have no access to garage, client is out of town. When we used to install transformer inverters we would always drive ground rods if we could not locate existing GEC, now that we do TL inverters we stoped locating GEC , stoped driving ground rods. Is it code to have the GEC accessible , verified rather it's a TL or transformer inverter, (note) no service change

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this is an existing cce then the inspector is saying that he has no idea if it was installed correctly. IMO, if was inspected by their department when it was originally installed then he should accept it otherwise you will need to drive 2 rods. I would still use the cce as well as the rods

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
He's within his rights to demand that the structure grounding electrode system be up to code. After all 690 has that whole section on grounding. It has nothing to do with transformer vs transformerless, that's just about how you need to size the grounding wire from the inverter to the panel.

I think it is lame for an inspector do reject a CEE when it is likely that the building was built with one and there's no sign it's been disconnected. But I agree with Dennis. Find some documentation, or find a visible sign inside the garage, or drive the rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.