Gec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am doing a project with a 1200 amp service.
PVC water supply.
Post-tension foundation.
Wood framing.

The engineered plans call for a 3/0 GEC.

What do I attach this to?:confused:

How about to a concrete encased electrode or call the engineer and see what he was thinking. It just may be a standard part of their specs and he/she didn't edit it out.

ohmhead

wirebender I am doing a project with a 1200 amp service.
PVC water supply.
Post-tension foundation.
Wood framing.

The engineered plans call for a 3/0 GEC.

What do I attach this to?:confused

Well on post tension jobs there is rebar and steel around columns and beams & pads so you can cad weld to that footer or column pads ? we weld our 3/0 grounding elec copper to the rebar in the footer or rebar in the column pads per spec . uffer ground is 20 foot of copper layed down in footer or under slab dont forget your ground rods ,build steel i never had a job with just pvc water cant help ya there . best to ya

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would run the #4 GEC to the service and ask for a change on the plans from the engineer. In doing so you will have complied with the NEC.

Code is the minimum installed required, one can always exceed the code.

If there are no qualifying electrodes as per 250.52, one could drive two ground rods and install a GEC sized at 6 AWG. 250.66(C)

If the specs call for other than, then one could call the engineer and see if the specs are "cut & paste" , and if they are not get further direction from the engineer.

nakulak

regardless of the post tensioning, why can't you throw a suitable piece of metal in the concrete to make your cce ?

wirebender

I would run the #4 GEC to the service and ask for a change on the plans from the engineer. In doing so you will have complied with the NEC.

Thanks, Rob, that's what I thought.

Thanks for everyone's input.

We also ran a #4 out from the service for a ground rod in case the POCO wants one. Some of them around here require one, others don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.