Gen panel and 300.3(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

We've discussed this before but due to the fact I'll be installing a couple of these in the near future I'd like to confirm my thoughts. The 8 circuit generator panel in question will be a panel with a factory installed interlock, along with a 60a dbl pole, this is not a prewired assembly. I am/was planning on wiring it in the same manner seen in post #8 by electricmanscott in this thread:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=121224&p=1143799#post1143799

Meaning, I would not relocate the branch circuit neutrals nor their egc's to the gen panel. Thus, a 24" or less nipple connecting the main panel to gen panel would contain the following: two #6 ungrounded conductors, #10 egc, #10 neutral, and up to eight #12's for the bc's. Now this is how I'd LIKE to wire it, however, if I understand previous threads, this would fly if it were a prewired assembly but since I would wire it myself, the raceway/nipple must contain all the bc grounded conductors (And egc's?) therefore the main panel would serve only as a j-box for said conductors in this case. I'd have to go up to a #6 neutral if I had to go this route.

Last edited by a moderator:

ceb58

We've discussed this before but due to the fact I'll be installing a couple of these in the near future I'd like to confirm my thoughts. The 8 circuit generator panel in question will be a panel with a factory installed interlock, along with a 60a dbl pole, this is not a prewired assembly. I am/was planning on wiring it in the same manner seen in post #8 by electricmanscott in this thread:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=121224&highlight=generator+panel

Meaning, I would not relocate the branch circuit neutrals nor their egc's to the gen panel. Thus, a 24" or less nipple connecting the main panel to gen panel would contain the following: two #6 ungrounded conductors, #10 egc, #10 neutral, and up to eight #12's for the bc's. Now this is how I'd LIKE to wire it, however, if I understand previous threads, this would fly if it were a prewired assembly but since I would wire it myself, the raceway/nipple must contain all the bc grounded conductors (And egc's?) therefore the main panel would serve only as a j-box for said conductors in this case. I'd have to go up to a #6 neutral if I had to go this route.

I will say you must run the grounded conductors. As was stated in the thread you linked 300.3 B and you may squeeze in 200.3. I think Generac was forced into rethinking there position on the grounded conductors in their installation book.

mark32

Thank you Ceb for the response. So I guess I'll transfer the grounded conductors, what about the EGC's?

Wirepuller, a panel can be used in the manner I spoke of, however you can only use up to a certain percentage of space, but that percentage is rather generous. I don't have my codebook with me but it's in there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Ceb, The neutral conductors need to run with the branch circuit conductors. Will this be a big issue- I don't think so but the 2011 specifically calls for the neutral not to be used for more than one circuit or MWBC. The feeder , of course, is done with one neutral but you are moving branch circuit and the conductors must be run together. Here is the 2011 NEC code

200.4 Neutral Conductors. Neutral conductors shall not be used for more than one branch circuit, for more than one multiwire branch circuit, or for more than one set of ungrounded feeder conductors unless specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.