Generac 15 kw Cycles 118

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony415

I had a 15 KW stator rewound down here in Miami, the armature checked out ok, Hooked everything up and started it. The volts were at 180 and the cycles were at 64, increased the voltage on the regulator to 247 as per the manual, the batters charging regulator started to smoke and burned up, the 240 to 16V transformer burned up and blown the fuse's in the control panel inside the house, ordered new parts and reinstalled everything and ran it with out hooking up the transformer and battery charger. Now the cycles are at 118 and the only way to get then down is by lower the engine rpm to where the engine almost quits, it's supposed to run at 3600 rpm.

I'm at a loss of why it started to do this, I'm a engine type person with some knowledge of electrical - But this has me stumped.

Thanks for any help.

broadgage

Some generators run the engine at 1,800 RPM and I suspect that you have been mistakenly been supplied with a re-wound unit intended for 1,800 RPM rather than the actual speed of 3,600.

The failure of ancillary electrical components could have a number of causes, we would need more information to ascertain the cause, but the frequency error can only be explained by either the engine running at twice the design speed, or a winding intended for a different speed.
It is unlikely that the engine would be capable of twice the intended speed, therefore an incorrect winding appears probable.

The voltage may also have been wrong, remembering that some voltmeters are inaccurate at frequencies other than line frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.