Generac 7.5KW PowerPact ATS Neutrals

ciscojoe

Occupation
Engineer
In reference to a Generac 7.5 KW PowerPact generator. It ships with Automatic Transfer Switch (2 Pole). Reviewed ATS installation documentation. I believe install documentation contradicts itself. This is a 2 pole ATS, so Neutral is not switched. Factory installation Manual instructions say connect Main panel Neutral to ATS Neutral. Connect Generator Neutral to ATS Neutral. Then remove all targeted backup circuit neutrals, from Main Panel Neutral, and connect to ATS Neutral Bus. This makes no sense to me. Why not just leave targeted circuit Neutrals on Main Neutral Bus?

ciscojoe

Occupation
Engineer
I should add, the in question (Model 0K7618B) ATS is not a whole house unit but one of Generac's 10 circuit sub panel variants, which ships with Generator (Model G0069981). So, 10 circuits would be abandoned in Main Panel and wired into ATS panel, which hosts breakers, hence my moving the Neutrals reference!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The older models used a large neutral in the factory whip, so the circuit neutrals remained in the main panel. Now due to the advent of arc fault protection, the neutrals have to be moved to the Generac loadcenter.

ciscojoe

Occupation
Engineer
The older models used a large neutral in the factory whip, so the circuit neutrals remained in the main panel. Now due to the advent of arc fault protection, the neutrals have to be moved to the Generac loadcenter.
hillbilly1, thanks for the reply, it is appreciated!! This particular ATS does not ship with any pre wiring, hence no factory whip. Install consists of installing a 50 amp breaker, in main panel. Extending two #6's from said breaker to Utility side of ATS (switched), extending similar ground from main panel to ATs unswitched ground, and extending a #6 from the Main panel neutral, to the ATS unswitched Neutral. So, this results in the Neutral in the main panel and at ATS panel being cross connected, all the time. With that being said, what does moving the neutral from the targeted circuits being backed up, to the ATS Neutral provide? From an engineering perspective it is now one bus (Main Neutral cross connected to unswitched ATS Neutral). This is what I am having trouble understanding. It is just some addition wire work, with little cost to do so, but I cannot simply understand the reasoning. I find nothing in NEC, or anywhere else, the makes me understand this.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is a rule that the neutrals are supposed to originate in the same panel as the hots.

The older manual multi-circuit T/Ss with the whips did not require relocating the neutrals.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
There is a rule that the neutrals are supposed to originate in the same panel as the hots.

The older manual multi-circuit T/Ss with the whips did not require relocating the neutrals.
Generac had those prewired whips for their automatic transferswitches too. They had a large neutral with the rest being hots, two hots to feed the switch, then a bunch of #12’s, and a couple of #10’s off the breakers in the t’switch loadcenter.