Generac 8000 watt generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
So in prep for the storm that we are supposed to be getting I went to Granite City Electric and bought myself a Generac 8000 watt generator. Does anyone know anything about these generators? I'm a bit confused to be honest. I went to check the oil in the thing before I started it up and when I removed the oil fill cap there is no dip stick attached to the cap :confused: by any chance does anyone know how to tell how much oil there is in this thing? I've called Generac but got a machine that said it could take up to 48 hours before someone gets back to me. I have a feeling I'm going to need this thing today/night.

kbsparky

On many small engines, the oil level is supposed to be to "overflowing" at the fill plug. You should have received some sort of manufacturer's instructions telling you if this is the case.

M_J_C

Oil Level

Oil Level

So in prep for the storm that we are supposed to be getting I went to Granite City Electric and bought myself a Generac 8000 watt generator. Does anyone know anything about these generators? I'm a bit confused to be honest. I went to check the oil in the thing before I started it up and when I removed the oil fill cap there is no dip stick attached to the cap :confused: by any chance does anyone know how to tell how much oil there is in this thing? I've called Generac but got a machine that said it could take up to 48 hours before someone gets back to me. I have a feeling I'm going to need this thing today/night.

I just checked the OM for a GP 8000 Generac, the engine oil should come up to the bottom of the crankcase threads where the oil fill cap screws in. The generator should be on a level surface when you check this. It also states that you should change the oil after the first 30 hours, and then each 100 hours thereafter. It is also equippped with a low oil shutdown sensor.

If you have a different model, ask and do my best to look up the info.

Good luck with the storm, We've done that a few times in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.