Generac ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
So I am a little confused okay I am very confused :confused: Well I wired that 7KW generator for my uncle today and the AST had prefab whips on it. Well my problem is that along with the cirucuit wires in the liquid tight there was leads to go to a double pole 30amp breaker and leads to go to the main lugs. The AST is the one that has a mini panel board built into it. So I picked my circuits and hooked the leads labled main up to the main and the leads for the double pole 30 up to the double pole thirty. The leads that go to the double pole thirty are coming from a double pole 30 on the ATS. And it did what I thought it tripped out the double polle 30 in the mian panel when I went to flip it on. I am confused as to what is up with the two double pole 30 amp breakers? It just goes off one panel onto another? The book that came with the generator is of little help.

Buck Parrish

The leads that go to the main. Are they to gauge when the utiities power comes on or off ?
The two pole 30 may be for a different application. Such as if you we're feeding the whole panel and not using the smaller branch circuit wires.
Or it may be for a 240 appliance such as a well pump.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You should have a black, red, and white #4 and a #6 green, these are your power feed to the tswitch, land them on a 60 or 70 amp DP breaker in the main panel with the green and white to their respective bars. The DP 30 is a load circuit, just as the other single poles, it is not to be connected as a power feed to the switch. Generac has come up with an average # and ampacity of what circuits that the normal home owner will use. You can change the breaker to two SP breakers if you have no 240 volt loads, some people use the double 30 to run a small A/C unit or a well pump if required. The #4 wire goes to the tswitch utility side which is prewired, the wire going to the main lugs of the loadcenter are coming from the load side of the tswitch. The long whip that goes to the generator is factory terminated to the emergency side of the tswitch with the other end terminating in the J-box outside at the generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.