generac automatic transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently started to get into generac generator installation and I have been confused about the control wiring from the transfer switch to the generator. Can wires 194,23,0, N1, N2 and T1 be installed in same raceway? I know the power leads go into different raceway. Thanks.

GerryB

I just recently started to get into generac generator installation and I have been confused about the control wiring from the transfer switch to the generator. Can wires 194,23,0, N1, N2 and T1 be installed in same raceway? I know the power leads go into different raceway. Thanks.

I think they can go with the power leads. I got confused on that myself with their instructions but I saw that they provided sleeves for some of the control wires for inside the generator when they come out of the same conduit.

nizak

Just recently read installation manual for a Generac Gen Ready combination T/S panel. It says: Control circuit wires must be run in a separate conduit. The exception to this requirement is if the length is 30 feet or less, then the control and power wires can be run in the same conduit.

All control wiring to be a minimum 300Vac rating and #14 AWG size. Type THHN wire is recommended.

This is word for word from install manual. I don't know why 30' is the magic number for length as far as the exception goes.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Just recently read installation manual for a Generac Gen Ready combination T/S panel. It says: Control circuit wires must be run in a separate conduit. The exception to this requirement is if the length is 30 feet or less, then the control and power wires can be run in the same conduit.

All control wiring to be a minimum 300Vac rating and #14 AWG size. Type THHN wire is recommended.

This is word for word from install manual.
I don't know why 30' is the magic number for length as far as the exception goes.
Likely because that is the length of the factory whip they make available for sale.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Likely because that is the length of the factory whip they make available for sale.

And maybe they are honestly worried about inductive or capacitive cross talk among the wires, do not want to support an arbitrarily large length, and have chosen the length of their supplied whip as a convenient place to draw the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.