Generac diesel generator wouldn't auto start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

Though i'd share this

Guy has an older (1990s) generac diesel generator and ATS on his house. There was a power outage and it didnt start. The generator would operate fine when manually started. An electrical contractor who I understand is generac certified and installs these spent time troubleshooting and told the owner the ATS was bad and would need a new control board.

I was then brought in for a 2nd opinion. I have never touched one of these before but I figured what the heck. I began to troubleshoot, starting with the ATS. With generator running manually the ats would transfer fine. Isolate the 2 wire start circuit, put a meter on it and ATS closes the start circuit like it should. ATS is ok, problem is the generator.

Begin troubleshooting the generator and everything seems ok except the 2 wire start circuit doesn't start the generator. I trace that out and see it passes through the off/auto/manual toggle switch. The circuit is broken at the switch. To confirm, I find the pin on the generator PCB that is the 2 wire start signal, ground it and the generator starts right up.

Bad toggle switch. Of course it is a 3 pole 3 position on-on-on switch with an odd contact arrangement. Thankfully the schematic displays the switch function. Generac replacement is like $90 and has a leadtime. Cant find an off the shelf substitute. Look through the honeywell TL series mil-spec toggle switch datasheet and find a 4 pole switch that gives me the 3 contact arrangements I need. $40 and 2 days from digi-key and I have a sealed mil-spec replacement for the crappy switch generac used. P/N is 4TL1-10 in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation.

I don't like generac.

kwired

Electron manager
it is not just generac, a lot of equipment out there that has OEM parts that are just about impossible to find a generic replacement for. Even if made by a well known component manufacturer, that one particular OEM part they don't sell to anyone but the OEM even though it may be nearly identical to their general purpose items of same type. It has just enough differences that you can't use the general purpose item, or will have to do a significant amount of field modifications if you are to use it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Not to throw a wrench in your tranny, but I just sat through a class on field certification for listing products. Repairs that do not include parts listed by the manufacturer as replacement parts, are forbidden. You now own any and all future problems with that genset.

You are not alone though, so welcome to the crowd and good job.

The instructor was good and the class informative but as most all of them are now it is CEUs in CYA by manufacturers etc.

Todd0x1

Good point, I hadn't considered an issue with using a non original part in the low voltage control circuit. On this one I am ok as far as future issues, but that is definitely something to be more conscious of. Thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
Not to throw a wrench in your tranny, but I just sat through a class on field certification for listing products. Repairs that do not include parts listed by the manufacturer as replacement parts, are forbidden. You now own any and all future problems with that genset.

You are not alone though, so welcome to the crowd and good job.

The instructor was good and the class informative but as most all of them are now it is CEUs in CYA by manufacturers etc.
If it is no longer under warranty, I don't see you are under any more or less liability for the most part.

How is this any different than taking your (beyond warranty) auto to a repair shop and having non OEM replacement parts installed? some might even be better than the OEM was.

You sort of have same risk just going to a house and replacing a switch or receptacle, you last touched it so if something bad happens shortly afterwards it is likely they may at least question whether your work had anything to do with what happened.

Todd0x1

Also, I dont think this unit was NRTL listed. I couldn't find a sticker on it and there are some factory things in it that would never pass UL(2200?)

kwired

Electron manager
Also, I dont think this unit was NRTL listed. I couldn't find a sticker on it and there are some factory things in it that would never pass UL(2200?)

It maybe doesn't have to be?

If legally required standby system then it probably does.

Otherwise the transfer switch maybe needs listing but the generator unit itself may not be, I can't answer that question for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.