General note on print

Jaxelectric5

Occupation
Electrical contractor
General Electrical note on print. Page 1. 1st note:
"All conductors operating at 50v or higher shall be in raceway. All raceway above slab to be metal"

...I have worked for this contractor for 10yrs. Never seen it before. Before I RFI this and stir up a hornets nest I figured I'd come here to see if anyone has seen this note before?
Anyone know a good lawyer that can get me out of a contract? 😅
They recently changed architects fwiw.
The space had copious amounts of MC cable prior to demo, and even has some still. This note is terrifying. MC cable is not a raceway. Lol. Yikes.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Why would this stir up anything?

The architect spec'd metal raceway. It might cost more than some other method, but the architect can spec whatever he thinks is appropriate.

I don't see how you need any more information. The spec is not unclear.

There is sometimes an option to cheapen things thru the dubious process euphemistically referred to as value engineering if you want to go that route.

But I think you need to bid what the prints call for.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is no reason why the owner or designer cannot specify raceways if they want to. It is common to find very expensive details in the notes on the prints on in the 100s of pages of boilerplate specifications. Typically the bid form requires the bidder to acknowledge compliance with the bid documents or take exception to them.

Jaxelectric5

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Oh I for sure missed it, bid it, got the job. My question may have been unclear, I was curious what type of jobs would call for raceway only as in my 25yr commercial/retail across Targets, Best Buys, TD Banks I have never seen it. I RFI'd the note. Check out the response copy and pasted:

"Hi Scott, MC cable falls under the “metal raceway” umbrella. We are not excluding it with this note. No change will be necessary.

I also double checked the specifications for this project, and MC Cable is included in section 260519. You should be all set.
-Chelsea"

Well, Chelsea, I am delighted to see your response but no, MC cable is not a raceway. Lolol. Thanks for the responses guys, stay safe out there!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Oh I for sure missed it, bid it, got the job. My question may have been unclear, I was curious what type of jobs would call for raceway only as in my 25yr commercial/retail across Targets, Best Buys, TD Banks I have never seen it. I RFI'd the note. Check out the response copy and pasted:

"Hi Scott, MC cable falls under the “metal raceway” umbrella. We are not excluding it with this note. No change will be necessary.

I also double checked the specifications for this project, and MC Cable is included in section 260519. You should be all set.
-Chelsea"

Well, Chelsea, I am delighted to see your response but no, MC cable is not a raceway. Lolol. Thanks for the responses guys, stay safe out there!
Come to Chicago where even dwelling units require EMT.