generated voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Hi guys, thought I would ask and get a variety of opinions before by finding out the hardway if this will work or not (trying to avoid an expensive lesson). I want to put a generator in another bulding approximately 150 feet one way ( 300 feet total)from the service panel. Intentions are to calculate the voltage drop according to the load served and increase the conductor size. My question is will a generator (portable-- 7500w) be able to feed Selected loads at that distance?

If the answer is yes, what I would be doing is providing another sub-panel (w selected loads) and a transfer switch in the house. When theres a Utility Co. problem I would manually transfer to the generator (150 feet away)and restore power to the sub-panel. To do this I would need two sets of conductors to another building. (one for everyday service at the other building and one for the generator) QUESTION > I'm hoping someones got a better idea and use only one set of conductors for Utility and generator 150 feet away -copper is expensive. :D

caosesvida

Re: generated voltage drop

sounds like a stretch for that distance if you are going to get much out of it. I am not sure about the two sets of conductors. You will have the transfer switch in the house by the emergency panel, that would have the transfer switch to go from utility to generator. But it will do some lighting. You may need to post some more figures on this, like what load you expect to get from there. Remember that you are going 150 to the panel but you may also be going another 100 feet to the load. If it is just incandescent lighting It doesn't make that much difference, but a refer would.

bob

Re: generated voltage drop

MJC
If you are asking can you feed 7500 watts to a load 350 ft away, the answer is yes. You did not list the voltage or if the gen is 1 phase or 3 phase. 7500 watts is only 31 amps at 240 volts
1 phase. the voltage drop for several conductors
at 240 v 1 phase is as follows:
#6 4.5%
#3 2.3%
#1 1.4%
The type of load may make this a problem.

[ April 29, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: bob ]

Status
Not open for further replies.