Generator Adjacent to Pool Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
We are on a current pool install project and part of the plan is to install a propane fired generator to handle the pool equipment as well as 2 structures, guest house and stable, on site.

My question is there a required distance for the generator from any of the pool equipment? I plan to set it adjacent to the planned propane fired pool heater for ease of gas connection. The pool equipment and the generator will be sharing a common concrete slab along with a 10'x16' shed. The slab will be 10'x25'-plenty of room for equipment and generator. Kohler generator BTW.

The propane company requires any of the pool equipment or the generator be 10' away from the tank-not an issue as the tank will be buried about 40' away.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't know of any issue other than you might want to stay at least 5 ft away to avoid the 680.26 bonding requirements.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Thank you.
After I posted I remembered a build I was on about 8 years ago and a generator was set next to my pool equipment. The inspector was always thorough and he would not have passed it if was not allowable.

As far bonding, (680.26) the equipment set will be about 60' from the pool. We will however, include bonding the generator with the pool equipment.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
We have a constant ground water issue on site that requires a sump pump to be able to run. This will keep any ground water from building up behind the pool.
It's just one part of the CYA for this project.

Right now, a temporary pump is set up in a 15" culvert pipe about 3' below the gravel bed in the pool. It cycles constantly.When we grade the property, the pump location will be 12' below finished grade. Power will be provided to that pump from our pool control system which will in turn be connected to the generator. It will be accessible for servicing also with a finished cap.

Had a similar set up about 8 years on a project.

Because the proposed power source for the pool equipment comes from a guest house, the difference in generator cost to also cover the guest house and a stable was minimal (in my clients world). Yes, wealthy client.

I've had clients with big spas we built that wanted to run through the winter. A generator is always highly recommended. 1 super cold day and a power failure without backup = disaster.

kwired

Electron manager
We have a constant ground water issue on site that requires a sump pump to be able to run. This will keep any ground water from building up behind the pool.
It's just one part of the CYA for this project.

Right now, a temporary pump is set up in a 15" culvert pipe about 3' below the gravel bed in the pool. It cycles constantly.When we grade the property, the pump location will be 12' below finished grade. Power will be provided to that pump from our pool control system which will in turn be connected to the generator. It will be accessible for servicing also with a finished cap.

Had a similar set up about 8 years on a project.

Because the proposed power source for the pool equipment comes from a guest house, the difference in generator cost to also cover the guest house and a stable was minimal (in my clients world). Yes, wealthy client.

I've had clients with big spas we built that wanted to run through the winter. A generator is always highly recommended. 1 super cold day and a power failure without backup = disaster.
Even if not extremely wealthy owner that can have anything they want, I can understand the desire for standby on a spa more so than a pool, still think around here anyway you can be out for a day or two if the spa was at normal operating temp when power failed before you have to worry too much about something freezing and being damaged.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Even if not extremely wealthy owner that can have anything they want, I can understand the desire for standby on a spa more so than a pool, still think around here anyway you can be out for a day or two if the spa was at normal operating temp when power failed before you have to worry too much about something freezing and being damaged.

The water in the pool or spa itself in extremely cold is not an issue in the event of power failure. It's the exposed piping at the equipment and the equipment itself.

I can think of 2 instances in about 15 years whereas a spa (concrete spa mind you, not portable type) lost power and overnight there were freeze ups in the equipment and the piping. Some piping cracked and fortunately equipment was fine.

It can happen in less than 24 hrs.

kwired

Electron manager
The water in the pool or spa itself in extremely cold is not an issue in the event of power failure. It's the exposed piping at the equipment and the equipment itself.

I can think of 2 instances in about 15 years whereas a spa (concrete spa mind you, not portable type) lost power and overnight there were freeze ups in the equipment and the piping. Some piping cracked and fortunately equipment was fine.

It can happen in less than 24 hrs.
Yes piping is going to be first place that freezes, I don't have a lot of experience with this but would think if in well insulated location you would have some time, if concrete and in ground I would think it would be even better insulated than a packaged spa unit, majority of heat loss would be right off the top and you likely have first ice forming at the surface in that circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.