Generator ATS disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I install a non service rated ATS before the first means of disconnect? I have a 600amp service and installing a 100K Generator. Utility service is tapped in gutter after meter can and runs to three 200a MBO panels (first means of disconnect) in garage. Plan is to install three non-service rated 200a ATS's at meter location and leave existing MBO panels as is.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you mean that the ATS will end up AHEAD of the 3 separate MBO panels, then the utility connection of the ATS becomes the first device after the meter and would need to be SUSE. An alternative would be to install a 600A fused disconnect or breaker with an SUSE label ahead of that ATS connection.

If you mean that the ATS will end up AHEAD of the 3 separate MBO panels, then the utility connection of the ATS becomes the first device after the meter and would need to be SUSE. An alternative would be to install a 600A fused disconnect or breaker with an SUSE label ahead of that ATS connection.
Thanks, That's what I thought. I was hoping I could avoid pulling in the ground wire to existing panels. Long and difficult pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.