Generator Cable protected by breaker on secondary of ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

I have a situation where a generator has an 150A breaker which feeds a #2 AWG cable going to a transfer switch. On the load side of the ATS the cable is #2/0 and it terminates into a 100A breaker in a panel. Distance between generator breaker and 100A breaker in panel is about 20ft.

I know the #2 cable is not protected by the 150A gen breaker per 240.4(B) however can it be protected by the 100A breaker in the panel but one of the provisions of the tap rule?

Lecho

The tap rule does not apply to the conductor between the generator and the ATS, but you may be able to get away with the #2 depending on the size of the generator. 445.13 allows conductors to be sized off of the nameplate rating of the generator. What is the generator kW and voltage? Also what is the ATS rating?

RUWired

philly, tap conductors cannot supply another conductor except through an overcurrent device. (240.21) I assume the ATS doesn't have an OCPD on the generator side.

Rick

philly

philly, tap conductors cannot supply another conductor except through an overcurrent device. (240.21) I assume the ATS doesn't have an OCPD on the generator side.

Rick

No ATS doesn not have a breaker on the generator side. The only breaker on the generator feeder is upstream at the generator where the feeder origanates. It sounds like thiis is a violation then?

Status
Not open for further replies.