Generator Design and 700.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have an 1875 KW generator with 3 integral disconnects, a 100 amp, 1200 amp, and 1200 amp. Inspector wrote up a violation: "No GF SENSOR FOR GENERATOR (277/480, 1000a)" and "No GF Provided Generator 700.7". Wouldn't a generator of that size have integral ground fault indication built into its control panel?

700.6 Signals. Audible and visual signal devices shall be provided, where practicable, for the purpose described in 700.6(A)through (D).
(A) Malfunction. To indicate malfunction of the emergency source.
(B) Carrying Load. To indicate that the battery is carrying load.
(C) Not Functioning. To indicate that the battery charger is not functioning.
(D) Ground Fault. To indicate a ground fault in solidly grounded wye emergency systems of more than 150 volts to ground and circuit-protective devices rated 1000 amperes or more. The sensor for the ground-fault signal devices shall be located at, or ahead of, the main system disconnecting means for the emergency source, and the maximum setting of the signal devices shall be for a ground-fault current of 1200 amperes. Instructions on the course of action to be taken in event of indicated ground fault shall be located at or near the sensor location.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'll have to see if I can find a photo of the nameplate. I would think that since it is an NEC requirement to provide ground fault indication that it would be part of the generator. Fortunately for us the generator was purchased and installed by others so it was out of our scope of work and therefore should not have been a violation for us. If this escalates to the building owner he's just going to ask us what is required. Ultimately my office will probably tell him to call the company he purchased it from.

Todd0x1

Interesting. I have a 70kva unit that has GFP. The bonding jumper goes through a CT which is connected to an earth leakage relay thats connected to the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.