Generator disconnect location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Losetoa6

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Hi all. I'm proposing to install a 48 kw Kohler generator ( 200amp) in a existing residential home that is fed by a underground 400 amp service and 2 4/0 seu into basement to 2 - 200 amp main breaker panels.The generator will sit 90 feet away from house. I plan to use a 200 amp (service rated) ats and like to install it in basement beside the 2 panels . Mainly so I don't have to put 2 service disconnects outside . Unfinished basement with plenty of wall space . All protected circuits will be utilizing just 1 of the panels . My questions are ...do I need to install the 200amp generator disconnect outside on house or do I mount it near the generator itself which is 90 feet away . ( if you stand at generator local and look towards house ...the meter is around the corner and not within site ( if that matters) . Do I possibly need 2 disconnects ? . Code book seems vague on this . Any help appreciated.

Losetoa6

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Typically I install generator disconnect on house when Generator is near house . But this is my first install where the generator is way away from the house. My common sense says a fireman would like it at house near meter . Inspector wasn't much help nor was article 445 . If additional info is needed please let me know. I'm located in Maryland

Last edited:

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Up here in Wisconsin, we put the disconnect (ATS) next to the meter, thats on a pedestal not near the house, we have the generator that far from the house, in most cases

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

Losetoa6

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the generator load wires disconnect not the ATS itself. My ATS will be in basement beside the protected 200 amp house panel .I typically put the gen load disconnect on the house near meter but with the generator so far away out of site i thought maybe i need another next to generator itself .

Thanks for the replies guys . Im Just going with just one on house .

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might look at 702.12. "In sight from" seems to be a key element.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Last time I wired a generator that was away from the house, I used a 60a AC pullout as the disco.

Status
Not open for further replies.