Generator Emission Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajid khan

I don,t know i should post this question in this forum or other. Hoping to get answers.

Generators in USA usually comply to EPA emission standards for non road diesel engines. However there seems to be no regulations in european countries. Now the questions are:
1. Are there any emission standards equivalent to EPA tier 2?
2. There are manufacturers who offer two models of generators; Fuel optimized and Emissions optimized. Is there any significant difference in operational costs between the two?
3. Are there any international regulations or codes specific to healthcare facilities regarding emission regulations for diesel generators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulengr

On diesels from a practical point of view the big difference is back pressure from the filters which is pretty minimal. The big contaminant is soot. Generators usually control SOx with low sulfur diesel. EPA goes crazy over NOx but that’s a separate thing (urea injection) especially for tier 2. During acceleration you can run a little more “dirty” which is what got the diesel cars into trouble (faking the emissions test during acceleration) but in a generator the impact is minimal. So really not much difference. The only place I know of trying to mandate urea on small stationary diesels is New Jersey.

In gasoline engines there are major differences. They use EGR. The catalytic converters only works when it’s hot so the engine is tuned to run inefficiently (hot exhaust). None of this applies to diesels. Don’t mix the two up.

So I don’t know but I suspect there is little difference. They can probably just sell the same emissions packages (tier 2/3/4) but calling it something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.