Generator Fuel Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

vptran

Hi,

I recently sized a Generator Set according to the loads that will be operating continuously and it came out to be a 1500KW Generator at 480V. I am not quite sure how i can size the fuel tank though. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks,

mikehughes8

vptran said:
Hi,

I recently sized a Generator Set according to the loads that will be operating continuously and it came out to be a 1500KW Generator at 480V. I am not quite sure how i can size the fuel tank though. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks,
Well I guess this really depends on how often you wish to refuel. Here is a chart I found that might be helpful in determining the amount of fuel you might expect to consume.

http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/temp/Fuel_Consumption_Chart.pdf

ramdiesel3500

Most specifications I see on plans call out a specified period of time for which the generator must be able to run at full load (or 1/2 load if that is more realistic) on a tank of fuel. In most cases, this it 24 or 48 hours. I did see one job where the genset had to be able to run 96 hours at full load between fill-ups. This specification, by design, forces the supplier of the gen-set to properly size the tank based on that particular generators fuel consumption characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.