Generator in Industrial Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayerforce

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I need a second opinion on this one. Industrial building with 480Y/277 volt service.
60 ampere breaker in panelboard serves a 45kva 480 delta x 208Y/120 volt transformer. A separately derived system with respect to the building service. X0 bonded in transformer. GEC to building steel. 125 ampere feeder to fusible disconnect, then load center for UPS, IT equipment and other receptacle loads.
I would like to install a 48kw generator with 208Y/120 volt output to feed this load center through a 200 ampere transfer switch, non-service rated. 125 ampere fuses in fusible switch between generator and transfer switch. The generator is an SDS with respect to the building service. Neutral bonded at generator output. GEC to building steel. MCB in generator. Both my transformer SDS neutral and my generator SDS neutral will be terminated on a common bus in the transfer switch.
In the back of my mind, it seems as though I should be using a 4-pole transfer switch here, but I can't put my finger on the reason why (either code rule or functionality). Alternatively, I could use a generator with a 480 volt output to feed the primary of the transformer, but I'm concerned about the generator seeing the inrush from the transformer and having to up-size it significantly to avoid problems.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If your IT equipment was supplied directly from a service, 250.24(A)(5), would be your prohibiting Code section. Since you have an SDS, I believe the prohibiting section would be 250.30(A). If your grounded conductor is bonded at the generator, you need to switch it at the transfer switch (or remove the bond)

ayerforce

Occupation
Electrical contractor
You know now that you mention removing the bond, a normal everyday standby generator is not an SDS is it. If there were to be a MBJ at the generator, I'd have to put it there. Thanks for the quick reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.