Generator Install Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

Yup, it's true. Section 702.4(B) will still require a calculation of the load intended to be operated at one time.

Since the user is permitted to select the load connected at one time, I like to make a custom panel legend, showing the user which breakers can be left 'on' at the same time. Such as:

[furnace blower AND the refrigerator AND the stairway lights AND the kitchen counter left] AND
{the o/h door opener OR the disposal} AND
{the sump pump OR the well pump}.

A few color codes go a long way to making it easier to use.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
Watch out for interlockkit.com. Bought a kit from them. Didn't get around to the install fast enough. It didn't fit. They wouldn't take it back after 30 days. I got stuck with a 150$ piece of metal.

M4gery

Check the panel manufacturer first, may times it's cheaper (and I would rather have it from the manufacturer if given the choice).

For example, an Interlock Kit from SquareD made for their panels cost about $75 vs. $150 for the kit from InterlockKit.com

bbaumer

If it is a square d QO panel, or should I say sub panel with only your "critical" loads on it you can branch mount the normal main if it is under 100A and branch mount the generator main and use a Square D QO2DTI (QO, Double Throw Interlock). They are cheap.

M4gery

If it is a square d QO panel, or should I say sub panel with only your "critical" loads on it you can branch mount the normal main if it is under 100A and branch mount the generator main and use a Square D QO2DTI (QO, Double Throw Interlock). They are cheap.

Does that come with hold-downs for both breakers?

kiddrock

We have installed about 20 portable generator hook-ups since IRENE. Most of the interlock brackets have been from INTERLOCK-KIT, and a few square D. Both work well. We've already been using square D brackets for years, but when a panel is an old murray, GE, Westinghouse, ect... there was nothing you could do execpt change the panel or install a transfer switch. Interlock Kit has made a portable genny hook-up possible with an old main breaker panel. These jobs have also been very profitable. Interlock-Kit even sent a rep out to one of our jobs to answer a question that we had about a GE panel. :thumbsup:

Bernard1599

We have installed about 20 portable generator hook-ups since IRENE. Most of the interlock brackets have been from INTERLOCK-KIT, and a few square D. Both work well. We've already been using square D brackets for years, but when a panel is an old murray, GE, Westinghouse, ect... there was nothing you could do execpt change the panel or install a transfer switch. Interlock Kit has made a portable genny hook-up possible with an old main breaker panel. These jobs have also been very profitable. Interlock-Kit even sent a rep out to one of our jobs to answer a question that we had about a GE panel. :thumbsup:

Hi kiddrock,

I am curious about how you have handled the N-G bond in the the portable generators that you have installed?

Regards,
Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.